Home Chat General Chat

Newbie: London Triathlon Sprint, is there time?!

Go fot it. Providing you can already swim, bike an run that is. You're looking at completing the whole thing in about 90-120 minutes, so it's a long'ish gym workout, only far more fun.

Comments

• TriIceTriIce Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

Total newbie to the sport and the forum. I have been thinking about starting in triathlon for around a month or so, since one of my friends got involved in the sport at the beginning of the year.

I have been offered the chance to do the Mazda London Triathlon in August and to participate on behalf of a charity. Now I would love to take part as it would be great to help the charity out but I am concerned that I don't really have enough time to get ready for the race.

I am in reasonably good shape just from regular gym visits, swims etc but I haven't been focused on getting in shape for a race yet.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to whether or not I am trying to do too much, too soon in taking up the place.

Just as a reminder the distances are: 750m Swim / 20km bike / 5km run. So am I asking for trouble, and possible humiliation, in trying to take part with just under 2 months within which to get ready?!

Thanks for any replies and advice!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Like the man says - the distances are all achievable to anyone with a decent level of fitness, it just depends on how fast you want to go.

If you are a weak swimmer, that's where you probably want to focus.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I agree that you should go for it, and it is definately achieveable. I would suggest that you try each distance individually but on the same day and see how you cope, then you will also know where to focus the training.
  • u_j_2001u_j_2001 Posts: 47
    Go for it!

I recently did my first sprint tri having done only 5 running sessions previously and none more than 4.5km, yet managed to finish (and enjoy) in a decent time.

As long as you are reasonably fit as you say you are and can swim the distance, just get a few bike rides in and you should be fine by then.

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Just go for it TriIce, once completed you will be hooked, constantly wanting to do better. Most people can complete a sprint tri (providing they can swim), it's not about the time, its about the challenge.
  • heymonkeyheymonkey Posts: 45
    Definatley go for it! All the advice is sopt-on above.

My first triathlon was the London sprint. I couldn't do more than 2 lengths front-crawl in the pool with 3 weeks to go. I focused on the swim and got through with no problems at all. There will be loads of people doing their first triathlon alongside you; get their early and make the most of chatting to others in transition, you'll soon realise you're a lot better prepared than some!

You'll never regret it. Good luck
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Complete Not Compete[;)]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Just don't whatever you do, do it: I repeat: don't do it. Stop right now. Put down that entry form. And back away from it slowly. Then call the professionals to dispose of it safely.

If you do it, you'll enjoy it so much, but also realise how much better you will be with bit of training, the right kit, and soon enough you will have sold the house to pay for the entry fees and kit, and given up work, alcohol and a social life to fit in the time for training. Your friends will ostracise you, not that you'll notice as you'll be too busy drowning, falling off your bike, and get blisters, shin splits, calf strains etc.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    What he said.

If you do it, you will fall in love and lose all your spare cash, all your spare time and, ultimately, all your spare sanity.

Enjoy - London is great, but one piece of advice - transition is immense so make a big point of remembering exactly where your spot is. Or you'll end up like me.....