Home Chat General Chat

Kettlebells

Been off the board for a few weeks so apologies if this has been covered before.

What's the forum's view of using kettlebells in training to improve core strength and general muscular power in gults, hamstrings & shoulders etc.

Used one today and it certainly hit the above as when I started running afterwards I could feel the effect but is this type of training going to benefit me as a triathlete needing endurance rather than a power type athlete?

Thoughts?

Comments

• gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    what the hell is a kettlebell?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    a kettle that rings a bell when the waters ready
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    i've used kettlebells quite a bit in the past, but not while training for triathlon. They are great for building core strength so that's a good thing for all three disciplines, plus if you do plymetrics with them, you can improve explosive power. Normal strength training principles would apply here - if you want to build muscle endurance rather than mass, then train with less weight but more reps.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Where's comanightrain? He loves kettleballs and am sure has a whole load of exercises you can do with them.

I've been tempted to invest myself but have a dusty old pair of dumbells which I really should try and make use of first...
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    hey dude,

I use ketlebells twice a week as part of my training. also body weight exercises. I except I'm not going to break any triathlon records so I keep my overall training varied for overall fitness.
    you could incorporate them in triathlon training as an example combining sprint intervals (bike or run) with squats.
    Or if you don't have the time for much of a work out go at in the garden with a kettlebell for 10 mins!
    With a young family at home i'm often un-able to leave the house on evenings so I work out in my garden.
    Plus once you buy them they cost nothing to use!

Strength training helps me with my work on a day to day basis so it makes sense for to keep it up!

kettlebells are awesome. plus there heaps of free tutorials on youtube, showing different exerices!