Home Chat General Chat

Bike to run. Help required!

Completed my first OD event in Rutland this weekend and although things went quite well, was pretty disappointed to only clock 44.20 for the run (aiming for sub-40). I really struggled with tight glutes and thighs: any tips (to train 'smart') or is it just a case of train more?

Cheers!

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Thats an interesting question. There will be a couple of answers to this.

1. Are you doing brick seesions?
    2.Are you changing down to a lower gear on the bike for the last 3 hundred metres to spin your legs quicker to lose the lactic acid?
    3. Hydration maybe something to think about!
  • Cheers matey.

I actually felt that I was well hydrated for this race (usually I get the dreaded stomach cramps / drop my water bottle - what an ar*e!) I didn't really spin my legs out in the last session on the bike due to a downhill finish & therefore slowing off / braking; however, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with a distinct lack of brick training being incorporated into my schedule. One for the future! Thanks for the post.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Bike to run bricks are the way forward....

If I have a run and bike to do on the same day I will always do a brick session regardless of distances/time involved.

Try not to drink anything substansive 1-2km from the end of the bike leg....

try this session...

20 min run @level 2
    30 min bike @level 3
    30 min run @level 3
    20 min bike @level 4
    20 min run @level 2

this should deffo give you a good chance to test those run off the bike issues and test nutrition etc

Regarding spinning your legs out at the end of a race..... I dont bother, makes no odds to my running.
    I natural cadence is low as I prefer to mash out a big gear, I find it more comfortable than spinning high rpm. For exmaple at the weekend at the FGS Sprint I only came out of the 11 tooth(smallest cog) on the rear cassette for the bridges... and I clocked the fastest bike split in the race...

good luck!!
  • ... brick sessions rule for sure, I've never been as fit in my life.
    My usual 1hour bike 30min run weekly brick workout is getting a tad mundane so I'll have a crack at this.

Hussler, what's the level scale you are using please? HR zones?

Cheers
    Si
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    not sure what i can add to what been said but i found that what really helped me was going from bike to run to bike to run, 3 or 4 times for only a short time/distance on each. I think it was 20 mins almost flat out on the bike, run 1 k almost flat out - it hurt like hell but was really worth it as i feel quite strong off the bike. i'm not as fast on the run as you are but my run splits are not too far off what i would expect withouth having biked at all - well at least over 5k anyway.