Home Chat General Chat

race report - marlborough sprint

risris Posts: 1,002
very long day yesterday, after the race i drove to ashford and back to pick up the wife and babb. by the time i got home it felt like i'd done the race about 3 days ago!

400m pool swim was over before it started (does anyone know why 750 swims aren't more common? i feel like i am getting short changed there), basic effort and out in 7.15.

reasonable transition and out on bike and onto a fairly hilly 20mile course, with one steep descent that we were warned about. i enjoyed the route - i thought i'd cleared most of the wave by avebury when i was overtaken. i kept him in view and realised that my climbing was a bit better but his aero was more efficient than mine on the flat. 2miles out from marlborough i decided to have a crack at finishing him off on the last little climb and just managed to make it stick into transition. bike time 1:04:32 including both transitions, so not too bad.

bike nemesis joined me for the first mile or so of the 5mile run and then left me behind a bit. my run felt good, i tried to stretch my body out a bit more on the bike and i think it helped keep my stomach in check. at 3.5miles i was still 2 or 300m back but felt strong enough to think about reeling him in and with half a mile to go i was past and able to up the pace. came in with 38.14 for the run which i'm very pleased with.

overall i finished up 1:50:01, which i'm happy with. it was about the run for me and i think i benefited more run training and trying to approach it with a relaxed mind and body.

it was a nice day, friendly competitors and atmosphere. i had a good laugh with the bike nemesis after, and even shared a few words on the run! i'd like to try it again next year to see if i can hit the bike section a bit more.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Nice one dude!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i think it might be too late for me on the stats... already pored over that list 72 overall, 8th in cat... now, if i theoretically knokced another 2min off the bike then i'd be... 8th in cat...

i know they say it's not about the bike but i'm sure carbon is lot faster than alu, and red carbon must be faster still. time to go shopping for red carbon bikes.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Ris - from a man who knows, just consider yourself lucky you wnet DOWN Hackpen Hill and not up it mate!

(Though from what you say you'd have mullahed bike nemesis then!)

Congrats mate!

didds
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Good job.

Re the 400m thing - If it's pool based, i reckon it must be an organisation thing. I dont know about you, but i wouldnt fancy counting 30 lengths!

Make sure you do it again next year so you satisfy yourself with how much better you are. That's the best thing about Triathlon for me.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Nods in agreement about the pool.

Once you've got a few waves, then the overall time for the pool starts to get quick long - even bigger for a 750m swim.

It's a pity though, as it really means that the bike element dominates!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i think you are right about the organisation thing, and it could nearly double the cost for pool hire if it was 750 rather than 400. i'd imagine it gets wearing for the counters doing it for hours on end!

i like swimming and would probably rather do 750 as it might give me a fractionally better result. this has reminded me of my lane-partners comment about the etiquette for passing people, which seemed a bit hopeful over a 400m swim, and even more so when i got out 10secs ahead

fair play though, she did completely waste me on the run