Home Chat General Chat

sleepy sleepy sleepy

i don't know if anyone else gets this but i am ALWAYS finding myself very tired after training...so much so when I head to work, i could quite easily lay my head down and nod off...(i actually fell asleep on the train when coming back from my tri on sunday)...I've been told by friends that i most likely need to up my protein intake and i've tried that over the last week or so but still feel tired...

i eat a pretty healthy diet (lots of veges, fish and upping my protein) and don't train as near as much as most of you i'm sure (swim 3/4 times per wk, cycle to work, run 1/2 times per week) but i just want to kick this sleepiness..

i've had tests a few months back at the docs and nothing's wrong health wise...so i'm thinking it's my diet...so is it more protein or this is normal or what?????

any help would be greatly appreciated...am sure my work colleagues are sick of my yawning :roll:

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    caveat : I am not a doctor.

If you are definitely sure that calories out = calories in, that you are sleeping well enough, that your dietary split is good (60/25/15 CH/PR/Fat or whatever this week's fad figures are) then I would seriously go back to your doctor.

Your symptoms sound like either

* anaemia
    * underactive thyroid gland.

the symptoms you are displaying are EXACTLY those that my wife suffers... and at last the "correct" test was done and she has we now know an underactive thyroid.

HTH

didds
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    A few days rest should sort it. You might be overtraining.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Might be worth a change if regime. I make sure I have two days a week (wednesday and Friday) when I do nothing. And then one week a month when I do very little (other than swimming drills) just to make sure I rest and my body gets time to recover. But that could be old age. Anybody know the calorific value of Horlicks?
  • I have exactly the same issues: struggling to stay awake at my desk especially after a hard morning session.
    In my case I'm convinced that it's simply me not getting enough sleep... I'm under alot of pressure with work at the moment and what with training for IMUK I find that sleep is often the first thing to loose out. I know ths appoach is all wrong but unfortunately thats the way things are at the moment.

Anyway, my only thought is that you didn't mention how much sleep you are getting at night and wheter it is good quality sleep? I read an article ages ago (sorry no idea where I saw it) but it talked about how important sleep was much extra sleep you need when you are training.

Sorry if it'san obvious point, but maybe you just aren't sleeping enough?

In the meantime I rely on caffine... and to illustrate the point another cup and I'm off to do some more work before an early morning brick session tomorrow!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I have to admit my first thought was anaemia. It does come and go, so even if you were OK a few months ago, you might have dipped a bit recently. It's easy to get tested!

How well do you sleep? Do you get a good 8 hours a day of solid sleep? Are you stressed much (not necessarily in an obvious way - maybe just finding work hard, or other issues).

How much alcohol do you drink? How well hydrated are you? Alc. stops you sleeping well. Dehydration can make you feel tired.

When was the last time you had a day or two off? Doing something gentle and nice..

Good luck!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    like most others on here i thought it may be anaemia, which i have suferred from. As said it can come and go but exercise does seem to induce it (well in me anyway) but mine is caused by an underlying liver issue. The best thing is to get to the Dr and find out. If it is anaemia then it is reasily dealt with and you'll be back to your usual self in no time - oh and i found that when i felt better i seemed to take a huge leap forward in training for no extra effort - probably because my body was getting the nutrients it needed etc.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Speaking of overtraining I think that's kind of how I'm feeling now. Not so much as that I've overtrained but that I'm under-recovered, as both Friday & Saturday nights were long nights out with friends.

I'm still just under 3 weeks to my first OD race of the season and was hoping to continue tough training for another 10-12 days yet. To add to that I've just picked up my first niggle of the year, a slight calf strain.

I've got a mild dose of the trots(!) and am feeling tired.

I'm thinking of just putting my feet up for a few days and then getting back into it. A pity, as my Tuesday night 3k swim is one of my favourite (most rewarding having finished anyway) sessions of the week.
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    hey guys..thanks a lot for the advice...

conehead...stupid question but where would i get my body fat measured? i don't do gyms so i'm assuming i need to go to the docs to get this? i'll find out and then PM you....

sleep - well i'd say i get around 6-7 hours sleep a night...it does vary on being good or not...i'm a very light sleeper so have been trying earplugs to block out noise...once i wake tho..brain goes 100 miles per hour and i do find it hard to get back to sleep...

drinking - used to do this regularly but haven't done much of that lately... drink at least 1.5 - 2ltrs per day of water

i haven't done any exercise over the last couple of days and haven't had the sleepiness during the day.... i will definitely look at nutrition and might visit the docs to see about anaemia

thanks for the advice again...appreciate it