Home Chat General Chat

Why this week I'm not a triathlete

Hello people,

I feel the need for some sympathy about rubbish week:

Monday - 5 km fast walk 40 mins then osteopath treatment on back so nothing else

Tuesday - 10 mile round trip commute + 60 min spinning class (easy due to treatment pain in back)

Wednesday - 5 mile commute into work, didn't get funding for next 4 years of research so almost definitely in search of new career path come December, at work until 9 pm doing experiments that didn't work, too late to ride home with no lights and do interval session, get told by security that I can't leave the bike on the office balcony in case someone falls over it (between 9 pm and 9 am really???!!!) apparently it's a health and safety issue, I should just leave it outside "it won't get stolen" ..... go home, come back in with big car and pick up bike, security really grumpy, eat body weight in chocolate and cake during day to make up for being too useless to get funding.

Thursday - have lie-in in despair, walk dog who insists on going the wettest route possible, drive to work, do more experiments that don't work, have to stay until 9 pm again, miss first OW swim session and regular gym Body Balance class, eat industrial amounts of chocolate.

Plan for Friday - Fast 10 km walk (aim I hour 20 mins) work - more non-working stuff, cake at morning meeting, pub lunch for visitor whose experiments aren't working, cake for afternoon tea from visitor to say thankyou, evening pub, pizza and more beer.......

Sorry for long whingy post but it's all really getting me down

Think this week might be a write off - can I count it as "recovery"

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Chin up young man. Its one week & a lot of chocolate, but with planning, with motivation you can conquer the cake mountain, come out the other side a better, thinner, hungrier man. Take on the world, make those experiments work, secure that funding...onwards & upwards.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    thank you

Still here in the office - things still not working.

Young man? - do you think so with all that chocolate???

Saturday's plan now looking like: volunteer work in morning 8.15 to 10.30, more experiments, swim squad (if I make it) BBQ, beer, chocolate.......
    PS when I get going I think I can almost rival Conehead on an Easter binge on the chocolate front - certainly seem to be in training for that anyway
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i does sound like a recovery week but i think you may have missed the extensive tritalk podcast on chocolate - the instant training aid that improves swim technique, max power output on the bike by 17% and guarantees you will be more attractive to the opposite sex!

sometimes things seem stacked up against you, but next week won't be and you'll feel much better after some chocolate, bbq, beers, some swimming and more chocolate.

now make it happen!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    sorry to hear your week hasn't been great, but on the chocolate front i find that M&S chocolate mini rolls are my vice...i love them and find that i eat the entire pack at work - and i wonder why i haven't lost any weight lately (2 packs a week could explain it). I know how depressing injury can be but you will come through and that hunger which will be growing in you will then help you through to be even better. Well that's what i feel about injuries anyway.

Hope you're experiements start to go better for you too
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Just remember you won't have undone all your training just because of one bad week.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    @durhamvam.

Hope you are feeling a bit cheerier now.. but just in case..

Well, December is a long way off, and a lot will happen before then!

You no doubt need, and deserve a break. Recharge the batteries It is a good thing to have a few days of "down time" now and then.

If biking is your favourite thing, wait for a nice bit of weather and just go for a pleasurable spin in a nice bit of the country. Not training, just fun.

If swimming is your favourite, do the same. Pick a time when the pool is as empty as possible, and just have a leisurely splash back and forwards - relaxing as much as possible!

You'll soon feel good, refreshed, and ready to get on with those challenges that life chucks your way.

Of course, there's always http://www.chocolate.co.uk if that doesn't work
    Thanks Jack!

I'm feeling much better today - had a good weekend - 10 km walk on Saturday, then really good swim session - apparently I'm now motoring in the water (must be battery powered like a milk float but that's still a great improvement) and yesterday a body balance class, horse riding lesson and two hours of slightly drunken tennis (that counts right?!)

Nothing so far today since the dog refused completely to go further than 500 m this morning and I wasn't about to drag her.

I'm almost looking forward to my first OW session this week.

As for the job, well I'll try again in the next funding round and if nothing comes of that then it's time for a career rethink, I'm heading towards dry stone walling as an alternative to the lab bench

Thanks all for the support, time to enter the next tri I think.

VAM