Home Chat General Chat

Tri Shoes for 70.3 / IM

okennyokenny Posts: 231
I have been looking for some new Tri bike shoes, I'd like to be able to ride without socks to save some valuable time in my next OD...
I was looking at the Shimano TR51.
However I noticed on Wiggle the following comment "or longer distance events such as half and full Ironmans a road shoe could be a wise choice though."

I had planned on doing a 70.3 and maybe a full IM with these shoes.
Any one know what's wrong with tri shoes for longer events?
Thanks!

Comments

• andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    ok i cant answer you're question, but maybe you can answer one of my newb questions...are tri shoes different to normal bike shoes??? i only recently started biking (because i wanted to take up triathlon) i've just got normal pedals with straps for now but i'm looking at getting somw pedals and shoes soon....do tri shoes have a clip in the toe rather than in the ball of the foot??? is there any advantage or disadvantage over this??
  • stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Tri shoes tend to have just one big strap that sometimes has ridges so you can prop it open for easy entry. This is opposed to road shoes which might have 3 or 4 straps and take slightly longer to get into. Usually the tri shoes have loops round the heel to aid entry/exit and people use this for the elastic band trick.

I'm not really sure the reason for choosing road shoes for middle/long distances, probably a comfort thing?
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    elastic band trick??? please explain
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thanks guys, looks like I'll be making a purchase this weekend!