Home Chat General Chat

forum admin

I would like to take this opportunity to nail a few things here.

Its been pointed out to me that I may have been a little hasty in deleting a post. For which I apologised. However, I only deleted the thread after asking other forum users if they wanted it deleted and no-one responder.

When I complained to 220 this week about the spam, it was pointed out that 2-3 three users would be given moderator access. I will post a copy of the email to anyone who wants a copy. However, at the moment, only I have been given the access, the privledge was offered to me and not asked for. This concerned me as I was apprehensive to other forum users would take to this, and my concerns came true. If anyone has any problem with what I've done, can you please PM me as I don't want my name to be trailed across the forum.

I have only acted in the best of intentions, and I am seriously contemplating retiring the username shadowone1 and using it for moderator only.

Anyone who feels concerned about me having moderator access, please contact 220 as well.

What other forum users can't see (and I'm priveledged that I can) is the amount of spam thats gets deleted, but not by me. I've also been blocking ISP addresses as well to try and stop them coming back. I spent an afternoon at work doing so.

Again, I'm going to take this opportunity to apologise if I've upset folks. This was never my intention.

regards

steven

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Most people don't realise how much effort it takes to keep on top of the spam. You're doing a great job. You've made, possibly, one mistake. These things happen. It's not the end of the world!

Sleep on it. See how much time it takes.

Of course, you really need a team! Many hands make light work!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Jack,

your right as usual, there needs to be more than one as I can't be on-line at all times.

S11
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I think I jumped the gun posting my thread. I have since apologised to Shadowone1 off forum, and he's explained what goes on in the background, that standard users don't dee or realise. Keep up the good work, and lets hope 220 give Moderator rights to a few more users to ease the pain.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    gdh,

no harm done, Jack's kindly offered to take a role as mod if 220 will allow it.

This should then appease concerns over just me having global rights.

S11
  • S11,

My view is that spam reached unacceptable levels before the switch, and despite the promised improvements it continued after. It is self evident that something needed to be done, and if the boffins at 220 aren't able to adequately screen posts automatically then someone needs manually keep an eye on the forum to police against the spammers. Obviously I'm not advocating a 220 gestapo who remove good posts for no reason, but it seems to me that a conscientious group of dedicated forum users keeping an eye on things would be a very good thing.

Regarding your apparently overzealous deleting; I have to admit that I didn't notice the relevant thread before, nor did I notice it's absence, so perhaps I am not qualified to comment. But... it is my opinion that mistakes sometimes happen, and while regrettable I think the occasional accidental deletion in good faith is a far lesser evil than spam.

I for one have been very happy with your efforts as an administrator and am more than happy for you to continue in the same vein, and see no reason why you should surrender your username. The only thing I suggest is that you try to recruit one or two other to help you in your role to lessen the workload.

Thank you, and keep up the good work!

p.s. if you need some motivation I hear there is a good thread going on inspirational quotes!
  • your doing fine dude

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    You can please some of the people some of the time... etc and so on.

This forum was full of spam, and it was pants. Now it's not - and you helped make that so.

Nuff respect.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    keep up the good work! and keep the shadowone user name (keeps it friendly!)
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Is there any way we can arrange the Thread titles into alphabetical order?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Is there any way we can arrange the Thread titles into alphabetical order?
    Someone else with OCD!