Home Chat General Chat

downhill and cornering confidence

I need your help.

I fell off my bike october last year and recieved concussion. The problem is its really dented by downhill and cornering confidence for fear of falling off again at speed. Any tips for cornering and how to ride downhill without dabbing the brakes and or slowing down for every drain, pot hole, change in surface type or loose gravel. This is where i lose time.

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Unfortunately, the only way to improve you cornering and descending is to do it. Ideally, ride with a few more experienced and confident riders, watch what they do, and see if you can keep up with them.
  • I think one of our boys had a nasty experience with the white stuff (on the road, no dodgy comments) and the rain. Just gotto get back up and back in the game. What doesnt kill you only scars you for life right?
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I started my cycling career in BMX, therefore I was involved in lots of crashes, and several concussions, the majority were into the first corner - so all at speed. At first a race after a crash I would hold back from the first corner, but after time came the realisation that accidents are random and can rarely be predicted (thats why they happen I guess).

All you can do is get back out there and rebuild your confidence, once you do I think you will find yourself hammering the downhills faster than before, I know this is where I make a lot of my time up in races.
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    You could try going for a spin on a mountain bike, although it's not exactly the same it certainly sharpens up your handling skills. That said I come off both regularly so I guess I'm not the best person to pass comment.