Home Chat General Chat

pain when running

After about 10 minutes while running a pain starts in by calves. i real achy pain. this pain gets worse the longer i run and is very bad when running up hills. yesturday, i went for a longer run that usual and got pins and needles in my feet by the end.

it this just my muscles aching as iv start running alot mroe recently in the last few week than usual and just need to strenthen them or is this something more serious? possibly shin splint, comparment syndrome?



  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Main calf muscle at the back lower leg? Not front of shin?
  • Options
    aggersaggers Posts: 3
    ye the back of the lower leg, rather than my shins. and on both legs.
  • Options
    AgnessAgness Posts: 27
    sounds to me like you may have increased the distance your doing and/or hill work too much. Im no expert. However i had what sounds very similar and over a period of time the pain spread to my achilles tendons. I had to stop running (sorry, - it took me a year to recover from it!) i ran through the pain until i couldent run. As a result im very interested in sports injury, particularly sports and thai massage, benefits of ashtanga yoga. whenever i get any niggles now i ice them, rest em, get a good massage & do yoga. Could also be your trainers (heals may be too high causing increased pressure on your achilles) hope that makes sense. i cut my trainers up to fit me now. Please note im not an expert though
  • Options
    pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Have you changed runners recently? I used to get a similar pain down my calf and into the achilles at the back of the ankle. I did a gait analysis and they suggested I needed better cushion in the soles. I tried a few pairs until I settled on a pair of nike vomeros which really diid the trick. If your upping your distance you may need to look at increasing your stretching, especially calf muscles.
  • Options
    bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Alongside all the advice you get on this forum concerning possible injury, I can give you this:

    GO SEE AN EXPERT ANYWAY!!! Chiropractor, doctor(who knows about sports),...

    Don't take the risk,cause going further without knowing what it is, can't make it better.

    (Trust me , I know all about waiting to see experts and getting injured badly afterwards).

Sign In or Register to comment.