Home Chat General Chat

Numb hands

Hi everybody i hope to get some help !
each time im going for a bike ride even very short one like 15 -20 mile im getting very numb hads especially small fingers and can put fingers together and sometimes after long ride i cant even hold a coffee spoon in my hands im really worried about it went to see doctor she said take ibuprofen ..very helpful... so please if somebody know whats wrong or how to avoid/treat this would be amaizing from you thanks a lot!

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I have the same prob - not as bad - but would be intereseted to know.

There was a similar thread about bike set up and too much weight on your hands?!?????
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Gloves and set-up is the place to start.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    what sort of bike are you using?

if you are on a drop-bar bike do you get this more or less if you are on the hoods or drops?
  • msqdenmsqden Posts: 18
    gavinrigg06 wrote:
    Gloves and set-up is the place to start.
    so when you say set up bike shall i take it to bike shop to set it up or can i do it myself?
    ris wrote:
    what sort of bike are you using?

if you are on a drop-bar bike do you get this more or less if you are on the hoods or drops?
    i have a scott speedster with drops used other ones before dont like them dont feel comfortable
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    I suffered from this in my first race - and I put it mainly down to the course being very flat, so never having to move my hands from the drops (changing gears, climbing hills etc) like I would on a normal training ride.
    Glovedscertainly help a bit - particularly ones with some padding down on the heel of your palm.
    The other thing that I have found really helps is fitting some clip on tri bars - as riding in the aero position you have less weight on your hands than when you are on the drops... probably means it is all down to bike setup, as I haven't had mine properly fitted yet.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    msqden wrote:

i have a scott speedster with drops used other ones before dont like them dont feel comfortable
    do you usually ride on the drop or the hoods when you get the numbness? particularly with hoods it may be that you are putting too much weight through the hands. gloves can help but getting the bike set up so that your body (core) is holding you up, not your hands, might be better in the long term.
    im getting numbness in my fingers especially smallest ones. thanks for replies guys so appreciate it
    ris wrote:
    [quote="msqden":wsyy4dyl]
    do you usually ride on the drop or the hoods when you get the numbness? particularly with hoods it may be that you are putting too much weight through the hands. gloves can help but getting the bike set up so that your body (core) is holding you up, not your hands, might be better in the long term.[/quote:wsyy4dyl]
    i feel most comfortable to ride on drops but have to change quite often to rest my hands :-(
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I used to have this problem all the time and then realised I wasn't relaxed enough and was gripping too hard..maybe try to loosen your grip slightly...that was my cure anyway!!
  • I also suffered from this problem, in my case it was caused by my Wedding ring and made several of my fingers go numb, I support the above theories. Gloves, resting on the hoods and relaxing.

Scotty
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    joolzd wrote:
    I used to have this problem all the time and then realised I wasn't relaxed enough and was gripping too hard..maybe try to loosen your grip slightly...that was my cure anyway!!

Read that again............ good technique joolzd
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    You mentioned ibuprofen-be careful as ulcers await if they're put into an empty stomach...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Shift your weight back over the pedals & back of the saddle when you can..I don't mean adjust the bike, adjust you, always keep a gap between ears & shoulders & keep elbows slightly flexed, no one ever went faster with their shoulders up by their ears & keep a gap between ribs & hips, let your abs support your spine. Once this is in place see how it goes & try the bike fitting thing, my point being that you can be fitted but if you tense up, you will get soreness & numbness somewhere.