Home Chat General Chat

My first Off!

md6md6 Posts: 969
OK here goes, The London to (not quite) Southend bike ride report :

The day started well enough I was bang on time to the start area, even after having stoped along to whay to help another rider who was a bit lost. we rode up to the start together and had a nice chat. Start was as to be expected bust and quite croded in the roads around Victoria park, we headed out through Hackney up to Leytonstone and then we were almost out of london heading into Essex. i started to pick up some speed along these roads as well as some memories as i grew up near there than had often been out that way on my bike as a kid. after about 25 or 30mins a group of club riders came past. So i thought that i would jump onto the back wheel of their last rider and see how far i could stay with them. As the roads started to go up i thought i'd drop off the back. But i didn't, if anything i was faster than some of them, so i thought to myself why not, and popped out wide and flew past 3 of them straight away. I got to the top behind the front 3...

I played laepfrog with the 3rd placed guy for a few miles, passing him on the up and then on the straights and downs it went back and forward, then came a longer climb and i got some encouragement that he was out of the saddle as i eased up past him seated. I then pulled away and caught the 2nd rider from the team. I reasoised that I wasn't going to pass this guy, he was riding conservatively and was still faster than me. So i stucjk on his back wheel for as long as i could. after another few miles he was dissapearing into the distance, a result of being fitter faster and much better bike handler than me in the crowds. So it was 14 miles in and I decided that i should have some water, still 45 left to go, but i was in a crowd and didn't want to risk not being able to dodge if an idiot pulled out into my path (as had happened about 10 times already). So i put the hammer down and found myself some clear pace on the road. rounded a corner and there was a little hill to climb. Brilliant, al my hill training has been paying off and i ease up it, crest it and see the clear road.

I reach down for my bottle, and BANG, the front wheel hit a pot hole i hadn't spotted, and i am going down, and quite hard at that. My shoulder hits the floor and i bounce up taking the bike with me,the next bit is somewhat hazy, but i know i ended up under the bike. Well i couldn't let her take the brunt of this tumble. Then i feel that I'm sliding and bang again - my head smashes into the curb...thank fcuk for my helmet. I come to a stop and try to get up to assess the damage. And fall on my arse as i try. So up I manage to get, and there were already 15 or 20 other riders stopped to rubber neck and a few to help.

So after the ambulance had left i tried the bike, but no, the front wheel has buckled oh and there is a spoke snapped and sticking out sideways.

So, I think that I have to get some new wheels, and a new helmet, oh and a new shoulder as mine no longer has any skin, i think i will also have some new stitches to show off as i will be heading to the hospital tomorrow morning - the ambulance crew were going to do it but thought they would split if i was riding again...

On the plus side, my leg looks like azebra, i have the imprint from the top of my stem in my forearm and t will scar - chick dig scars!

Willge here I come!

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    OUCH!!!! As a fellow bike accident victim, I can say I truly feel your pain!!

Hopefully its just the wheel and it sounds as though you'll live to fight another day. Wheel shopping it is then!! Sound like you need to shop for a profile aero bottle as well!!!
  • stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Good excuse for gear shopping, but sounds a pretty harsh way to get to it! Hope it all mends up soon.

Oh, and pictures are surely needed.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Cheers guys, if i can get them off my phone then I will post them...if not I'll have the GAT officer take some more so i can post them...
    ok how do I upload pics? Anyone????
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    ouchers mate. glad to hear your ok. Thats the main thing. Reinforces the fact helmets at all times.

The pics are uploaded via a tabbed thingy. Check back on the posts someone posted how to correct it as your setting may be altered since the switch
    [attachment=0:1w9u0z8z]crash 007.JPG[/attachment:1w9u0z8z]
    [attachment=0:37f7zcn0]crash 008.JPG[/attachment:37f7zcn0]
    Oh they're very large
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Crikey Moses they look like they must have stung! Glad youre okay, nice bum by the way.

I do like this forum.
    cheers Jess.

Yeah they hurt like hell, unfortunately the one on the bum goes right down to the top of my thgh - but i doubted anyone would want to see that...

i also have a nice pedal shaped bruise starting to show on my chest of all places.