Home Chat General Chat

Hierarchy of races. British Champs? European Champs?

JulesJules Posts: 987
A work colleage who started triathlon at the same time as me (life's unfair!) won her age group at Boundary Breeze yesterday.

Boundary Breeze was apparently the North West Regional Sprint Triathlon Championships. So does this mean she qualifies to race in a national sprint championships? Is there such a thing? Is this a race that you have to qualify for, or can anyone enter? Is there a European championship for agegroupers?

This is not an aspect of the sport I have had to trouble myself with, so I don't know The information is not obvious on the BTF website.

Comments

• CalimaCalima Posts: 35
    All the information can be found on the BTF website, click under Age Group heading from the main page & all will be revealed.
    To answer your question is yes there are European & World Age Group Triathlon Championships in all distances. The worlds this year are in Australia, the LD (long distance ) in Prague just follow the links.

Good luck
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Problem is, it's not revealed with any particular clarity on the BTF website. There's nothing about sprint races to start with.

It should be obvious. I've gathered after much reading that there's European (ETU) sprint championships as well as a standard distance ETU championship at triAthlone in Ireland in July 2010. The page I'm reading suggests that qualification will be via races to be held in August or September this year. It doesn't say which ones, which is useful.

Is there a UK sprint triathlon championship race? Can you become UK champion at your age group? Who knows.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Here is the link to BT webpage regarding 2010 European Sprint Championship

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/age/pag ... 010events/

There are 3 Qualifying races which anyone can enter

Dextro Energy London Triathlon - Hyde Park August 15/16

Bedford Multisport Weekend - Box End Bedford August 30

A N Other early 2010, to be announced.

There is a UK Sprint Championship, that was held in June (BigCow event) here is a link to the results

http://www.big-cow.com/public/results.aspx?raceid=595

Anyone can enter a National Championship but only British Triathlon members can become National Champion. There is a National Champion in all of the age groups
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Thanks Bathtub.

My colleague is hoping the TBA race in 2010 is a bit more up north!

EDIT

Although odd that the National Championship is not a qualifying race for the European Championship. This is what I'm getting that about the structure not being particularly logical or obvious to anyone new to the sport.