Home Chat General Chat

Race or not race?

So I rediscovered my enthusiasm for tri some time last week, did a power walking half marathon with my mother on Sunday and felt great, looking forward to some serious training in the run up to my second tri (a pool sprint on the 2nd August). Monday wake up with sore throat and headache have high temperature and aching joints during Monday night. Tuesday fail to get out of bed except to move to the sofa. Today I did manage to get out of bed for this morning and even went to work for two hours but as for exercise - I feel like I need to lie down when I walk up stairs!

Also I haven't done any run training due to this long term back injury and was planning to use the cross trainer and run as much of the run as possible and walk the rest on the Sunday - concentrating on the improvements I know I've made in the bike and swim.

The question is (and I think I know the answer) do I race and just treat it as a training session or pull out and enter for my first river sprint at the end of next month instead?

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Race and take it easy. I like the phrase "pootle around"
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    you've got ages until the race so don't decide to pull out until, ooh, saturday night.

lots of rest, lots of fluid and vit c and take it easy. think of it like an early taper!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    May I ask why you went to work with probably Swine Flu ?

Doh!!!!

Do the race - don't train hard if at all for the next few days and chill. Best of luck
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Thanks - the plan is to pootle

oh and enjoy the buffet after!

@willieverfinish - Almost certainly not swine flu I'm thinking its probably a parainfluenza virus since I don't feel anywhere near ill enough for influenzae and don't have a blocked up nose so it probably isn't a rhinovirus or adenovirus.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Mate - not having a pop in any way dude... Hope you feel better soon
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    sorry, willieverfinish, I didn't mean that to be snappy

Thankfully not swine flu since if the doc even suspects it's that they put you under house arrest for 7 days!!!!!

7 days!! I'd have to be really ill not to go mad