Home Chat General Chat

Racing in the rain

PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
I'm doing an OD this weekend and I think it might be wet.

I usually pin my race numbers to my suit rather than wear a number belt.

If it's teaming down and I wear my rain jacket on the bike what's the story if my race numbers aren't on display? Potential DQ or no big deal?

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    You wont want to wear a jacket racing, my friend. the weather's plenty warm enough even if it is raining! the only difference is that you'll stay wet on the bike from the swim.... enjoy!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    If you have clear sunglasses, it might be an idea to have them in T1; you don't want to be squinting for 40km if it's tipping down with rain. Just a thought.

Agree with Jesster, no jacket.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    thanks, all noted!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    there were a couple of people at bath wearing rain jackets and the race no. nazi's didn't bark too loudly. might be different at london though.

i've raced twice this year in intermittent heavy rain/hail and it was ok in just tri-short and tri-top. i think getting the transition zone stuff dry is more important - dry shoes and socks that sort of thing.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    socks?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    socks for me for now.

not got lined cycling shoes so they are a bit uncomfortable in bare feet, and the time i ran in bare feet (cricklade tri) was a very painful experience. i'm sure with a bit of training i could get used to it but it works for me at the moment.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You will not need a rain jacket - skin is waterproof - well up to a point anyway. Besides you will be working so hard that you will overheat and if you don't you should be!

Seriously if it is going to be that cold wear a skin tight compression top but a jacket? Nope. Better still get a number belt about £5 - £6 or so, well worth it.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    yeah, avoid the jacket. Otherwise you will just "boil in the bag". And end up wetter than your would if you didn't have one - even in the rain. It will be less wet than the swim, and warmer (well, aside from the wind chill factor) - but you will be fine.

Clear lenses can help... but it's a bit of a pay off between sore eyes vs. fogged/rain splattered specs.