Home Chat General Chat

1 week to London Tri - changes in training?

So, with many of us competing in next weeks London Triathlon I'd like to raise the following question, which will hopefully benefit others as well:
How does your training change in the last week before an important race?

I will be competing in the Sprint race, (3rd one in as many months) should I change my normal routine? Or just take it easy in the couple days before?

Comments

• matt333matt333 Posts: 32
    Best just to rest and may be do some light training in the week before really & save your energy for the big day!
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I'm doing the standard distance at London, so will take it easy this weekend by doing Strathclyde Standard ..

For the sprint event I'd suggest cutting back on training by 25-30% but up the intensity a bit, and rest for 2-3 days before hand, depending on how hard you've been training/ how quickly you normally recover.

For myself, I'll rest a couple of days after Sunday, then a short race pace session on Wed - swim, cycle and run, then rest again until London.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It very much depends on the individual... the older you get, the more rest you need! Recovery takes longer as you age.

For a sprint/OD, I (VM45) would do nothing of any intensity 2 days before (either nothing except sleep, eat properly and relax - or just a little loosening up ride/run).

If I had to do an OD the weekend before, it would be debatable if I had recovered. I certainly wouldn't be able to do any useful training, as I would still be aching by the middle of the week.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Yeah, I should have said...I'll be doing that session mid week if I've recovered! I could very well still be aching...