Home Chat General Chat

SRAM vs Shimano????

So I now have a new frame (Isaac Sonic prototype -868g!!) to build up what should I hang on it??

SRAM Force or Ultegra SL?

DA and Red are out of the price bracket....

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You may want to look at this:
    http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/SRAM_ ... Sets_.html

I have Rival Fr and Rr mechs and my understanding is that it is on a par with Ultegra - couldn't say about Ultegra SL - and that the only difference between the Rival and Force are the materials used as indicated in the above link. In contrast Ultegra and DA are different, see this link here:
    https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/featu ... egra.shtml

I think Bikesport Michigan do some excellent articles including this one:
    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/store/howmuch.shtml

Rival certainly does the job for me, no problems, never needed to adjust it and I understand from what I have read that the Rival rear mech is pretty bombproof and never needs adjusting.

Just did a quick search of the forums and most responses to the same question was in favour of SRAM.

However, as always I chuck in the disclaimer would appreciate thoughts from someone who has used both.
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I can't give you an exact comparison of Ultegra and Force but I have 105 on my road bike and Rival on my tri bike (although that means I can't tell you about how the double tap thing works for me as tri shifters are plain indexed).

Both have always been fine for me. I find SRAM a little more solid on the change, almost verging on clunky at times. The 105 is a lovely light change but I have had some issues with sticking in the middle of the cassette (although this might be down to an ageing cassette which has seen 4 plus chains and still not been changed). I don't like the SRAM chain but I understand they are compatible with each other so I'll go to a Shimano chain when this one wears out - the join link is much more obvious and it annys me...

In summary, I reckon get them set up well by your LBS and I don't think you can go wrong with either
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    both are as good as each other.... Although I have not used the Rival or force set up....

I use Red on my S-works Tarmac and Dura ace on my Argon, equally as good.

Go for whichever you get the best deal on!
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Just my thoughts, but I'd personally go with something less good (105, or tiagra/sora) and spend the money saved on swim coaching, rookie day, etc. Unless you're really good then you probably won't notice any huge differences between the groupsets and the weight saved will be more cheaply lost from yourself (though saying that, I don't know how big/small you are - i could happily drop a couple of stone, which would make me much faster). Although it is nice to have a matching groupset. Mine is a mix of 105 and sora, with utegra shifters chucked in - but that was thanks to my LBS when I got run over and they didn't have 105 in stock. This year's 105 is as good as ultegra a couple of years ago (so I'm told) and so on. Just a thought.

JB (see you in Switzerland!)
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Thanks JB and everyone else

I have a 105 setup on my current road bike (which I have used in both double and triple formats) which is okay - I do find that it needs fettling frequently as the gears become quite difficult to change going up on big hills - which is something I have never had an issue with on my Ultegra setup on my Trek equinox....I am looking for something nice and crisp which needs little mechanical intervention - so the Force is sounding better!

On the where is the money best spent side of things loosing weight is on the cards - 2 stone gone in the last year another to go before IM CH....and maybe some coaching - thinking trilife or one of the other groups as well of course as CH's days
  • i've got sram rival/force mix on my tt bike which i built myself. only ever used sram and shimano, for some unknown reason i really dislike campag even though i've never used it! i cant notice a difference in shifting between the sram and shimano, i got sram cos i like it! would recommend it though, all the reviews i read before i bought it said it was a group up on like for like comparisons but in the lower price group