Home Chat General Chat

Swim in the Serpentine, Hyde Park, London

Does anyone know if you can just pitch up in the early morning and swim in the Serpentine? I know there's a swimming club there and don't mind joining etc, but not sure what the form is. Don't want to p anyone off but it's very near my work and would be fantastic to be able to do some open water practice during the week. Do you think anyone would mind if I just hopped into the lake in my wetsuit and did a few laps??

Comments

• I swam there last week but was made to feel very unwelcome by some of the older (upper class) members who have the hump that a load of triathlon oiks are descending on their patch.

Membership is £20 a year and I don't think you have to pay for sessions.

They have a 90m long section buoyed off that is swallow and a further buoy set outside that area for a length of around 200m.

Personally I won't be rushing back but some of my work mates who live in London have carried on and enjoy it.

I'll stick to Essex and some good ow sessions with people who haven't got a silver spoon in their mouth and their head up their........
  • trijunkerstrijunkers Posts: 55
    Thanks Harlow Yellow that's really helpful. Think I might be having second thoughts about the serpentine. Not sure I 'd fit in with my common ways! Did you have to join the club / pay someone before you could swim? If so, do you know if you can do that on a weekday morning? cheers!
    By the way for anyone else out there reading this www.openwaterswim.co.uk contains details of a brilliant lake you can swim in near Datchet (near Windsor). Have been there a few times and a really relaxed vibe, friendly people and a great facility. And it's only fiver!!
  • FastWestieFastWestie Posts: 26
    You can swim there until 6pm (can't remember when they open).

Give them a call, the lady I spoke to was very helpful

http://www.serpentineswimmingclub.com/

There are open water swim training sessions from 19:00-20:00 on Wednesdays run by Swim for Tri http://www.swimfortri.com
    super, thanks. had a look on their website but couldn't find the tel number? do you know what it is? cheers
  • Trijunkers

You can turn up and pay your £20 on the day. I think the swim times are 0630 to 0900 weekdays but I might be slightly out.

When went there was no one to pay so I had a freebie which went some way to making up for being abused and described as a 'horrible creature' simply for being a triathlete with a wet suit!!!!

Good job I was only half awake or I might have started the day with a little boxercise to warm up!!!!
    Deary me, that sounds terrible. What a bunch of old f*rts. I went along this morning at about 7.30am with a pal and had a great swim. Only a few "members"(?) around and me and pal were the only ones in wetsuits which nobody seemed concerned about. Didn't seem to cause any probs. Lake isn't the cleanest but is perfectly pleasant to swim in. Would heartily recommend it. Fingers x-ed I don't get any snide remarks on any of my future returns! (PS - didn't have to pay and nobody asked!)
  • taytay Posts: 18
    I swim in the lido at the serpentine on the weekends, its open 10 till 6pm every day and everyone is very friendly. its 110m, usually only a couple of people in there and most are in wetsuits. no hot showers, but lockers and cafe available! £4 and cycle parking nearby. www.serpentinelido.com .