Home Chat General Chat

9spd to 10spd? Turbo woes...

okennyokenny Posts: 231
Hi!

I am having a problem with my 105 equipped tt bike on the trainer. The tyre is getting wrecked! So much so, that I am wondering whether I should take the bike out for my long ride at all tomorrow...

I had a look at putting the rear wheel from my Tiagra equipped road bike onto my tt bike, problem is that the road bike has a 9 spd cassette and the tt bike has a 10 speed....
I don't have the tools to switch the casettes.
Can I just put the 9 spd wheel and casette on the 105 tt bike without having to adjust the gearing in any way??

I want to get a new wheel with turbo tyre.....but a wheel is at least 70 quid, plus casette 35 quid plus turbo trainer tyre 20 quid....agh, when does the spending end?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I think this is the case, but I'm still on 9 so someone may correct me: a 10 speed chain is narrower than a 9 as the cassette is the same width, so each cog is thinner, and even if the chain fits, the indexing will be out.

Could you put a trainer/old tyre on the road bike wheel and turbo road bike but train TT on the road?

Ade
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    hi ,

I think the same as shaggy , use your old road bike for turbo & TT for road when the weather lets you !!

Its not like you need any Aero advantage on the turbo , your only exercising your cycling muscle's etc afterall .
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    aside from the chain not fitting correctly thing I am also informed that chains and cassetees "wear" with each other so fewer issues occur.

using the same chain with a different cassette may cause increased wear and tear to your chain requiring a replacement earlier... and/or to the cassette too.

cassette swapping tools are pretty cheap FTR... I got mine off of ebay for less than a tenner combined fro the chain whip and the cassette unlocking nut thingy.

didds
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thanks for the advice!

I am use the TT bike on the trainer as I want to get used to the position, more training in the aero position so I will be able for it on race day.

I just big on a second hand wheel and cassette on ebay.....if the chain wears more quickly, I'll just have to get a new chain....that'll be another purchase for next month maybe! It never ends anyway.

If I get the new wheel, I'll put a home trainer tyre on it.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    just got out big on ebay, damn it! Will try again...

Cycled outside on the damaged tyre today, was okay thankfully...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Okenny,

the tools to remove a rear cassette will set you back a lot less than a tyre and its a 2 min job. Also when you take the rear cassette off it gives you a chance to give it a good clean.

you'll need a chain whip and the tool that inserts inside the cassette. Can't remember the name of it.

Max £20 for the two of them. Ebay and you'll get them cheaper