Home Chat General Chat

Recovery drinks.

Do you use them? Which ones? And are they any good?

Sorry if this has been posted before but I`m upping my training and was wondering which drinks(or even food) are best to aid recovery between sessions.

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I use Powerbar, I find it to be excellent and furthermore they sponsor most of the IM and IM 70.3 events. They do drinks, gels and bars. Nutrition and nutrition plans are so important that you do not want to use something new on race day.

Other brands are reported to be qually good. Check each type out...

Do you like the taste

What brand sponsors your target event

Does your body accept them - especially under training/racing conditions

Are they easily obtained

A few years ago I won years' supply of Hi5 products in 220 competition, I had to give them ll away as Hi5 disagreed with me

Good luck with the experiment

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    MMMMMM Chocolate milk...mmmmmmmmmm.
  • Personally I use SIS (science in Sport) recovery drink, I think it is called 'Rego' - it is fantastic, tastes great and really helps with the morning after a hard training session.... I had the same problem as yourself trying to decide which product, primarily it is all about how you get on with all these different brands, however I was led to this brand as a good friend of mine works with the Olympic sailing team and alot of money was spent analysing the best recovery drinks prior to Beijing - needless to say SIS came out on top, therefore if it is good enough for them, its certainly good enough for me...

• I use Nuun hydration and I have my own recovery drink that I make up.

Ingredients:

1 banana

400ml semi skimmed milk

2 desert spoons of skimmed milk powder

1 or 2 ice cubes.

Method: Sling it all in a blender and press play!

Ingredient Protein Calories

Milk 13.5g 200kcal

Skim milk Powder 6.5g 64kcal

Medium Banana 1g 100kcal

TOTAL 21g 364kcal

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    There was something in the 220 mag a few issues ago about milk being just as good as some recovery drinks I think. With that in mind I use Myprotein shake but ulternate with milk as well. Cow power.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm soya chocolate milk shake....cow power too strong for me.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    choc milk and banana/peanut butter sandwich are the way to go mate.

Cheap and efficient!! (like most posts on this thread, lol).
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Guiness.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    wrong thread mate, should be the Wall issue.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    benny wrote:

Cheap and efficient!!

Surely this is against all triathlon lore?

Seriously, good thread this, I need to think more about what I'm eating after training.
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    Thanks guys.

Chocolate and Guinness it is then.

Lol.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I tend to have a glass of milk and soreen, or a chocolate slim fast or for goodness shakes (i tried them as they were half price and was pleasantly surprised) is I have been for a long/high intensity run or workout. Anything less than about 8 or 9 miles and i just have the milk and soreen. Oh and a banana about half hour later, then eat a meal about an hour after that. A good one is a chilled pizza (low fat variety) with chicken and peppers, it has a surprisingly good carb/protein ration. I understand the ration should be 4:1 (carbs:protein) for the best absorption and recovery rate. But it took some time for me to find that, i also like anything else chocolate based but the 100g bar of galaxy just doesn't seem right most of the time.
  • Now at the risk of sounding like a sales rep for SiS, which i am not, i use all SiS products.

Basically cos the range they do with the flavours you can kind of match you whole nutrition needs around them. The gels are isotonic so very easy to take without water, although the energy bars are quite dry i have difficulty eating on the bike no matter what it is, but when the electrolyte drink is the same flavour it goes dwn easier.

Basically i have PSP for energy drink GO for during after with the bars and gels during long rides and runs...

They even do a pre nightout product designed to reduce a hangover and a sleep assisting recovery drink although i havent tried these.

• maximussle recovermax when i can afford it, and when i cant its bannana's, milk and chocolate busciuts for me.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • pigsy65pigsy65 Posts: 25
    I use SiS Rego, Funnily enough..it tasts of bananas and milk! lol!

I only really use it after core/strength training.

Pigsy
  • MaxiMuscle product's for me........

Promax

Thermabol

Viper Extreme

Viper Turbo

although a couple of guy's at work seem to rate 'NO Xplode', but that seem's more for before and during excercise....
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Sis Rego, or if doing an F3 race they have hand out those "For goodness shakes" recovery drinks. Yumlicious! Followed up with tons of water and a decent meal within an hour.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I've used Rego Recovery and found it pretty good. Have recently switched to Torq Recovery though after an article (can't remember which mag it was in) was saying how much aspartame etc was in Rego. Torq is, supposedly, "more natural"! So far so good. It's got added stuff like glutamine which I've found helps with recovery.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I use Rego because it was recommended, but I'm not sure what it is doing....are you supposed to feel anything.......It might just be me!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Good point Graham. What does a good recovery drink feel like?

Is it like downing a cup of tea after a full english? Or a beer after a hot curry?

Seriously though, I don't know much about recovery drinks, I'm on the nesquik milkshakes after a workout, but don't get a buzz off it. Should I consider an alternative?
    It should feel as if you are making a good start on replenishing your energy stores & helping out your muscle repair systems. not reallya buzz more a warm satisfaction.
  • theres no 'feeling' as such it allows me to do the same again the next day, and the next, and the.... well you get my drift.

its recomended you refuel straight away as it replace glycogen levels ( i think i spelt that wrong) and i for 1 can tell if i havent cos the day after my performace seems to take a dip

Given up buscuits for lent, god i miss them [:(] (pardon the punnnn)
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    An interesting thread, I currently use cow power (500mls skimmed milk with a good slodge of honey and a banana or honey and a dash of vanilla essence-mmmmmmmm)

In the past I have used bot SiS and MaxiM products - I was fascinated to find that SiS Rego caused me to increase my body fat% and MaxiM recovermax caused me to develop more muscle. However in the off season I find cow power is good enough.

I
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Pleae forgive me this but I am just chuking in an idea!

What about a malt loaf smoothie?

Is it possible to liquidise malt loaf with milk and maybe a banana.

I dont have the kitchen equipment to try this out but it seems it might work!
    I see lots of idea here involve skimmed milk, which I don't particularly like. Am I defeating the object of the excercise if I use semi-skimmed?
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Jules - there is very little difference in fat % with skimmed (URLLGG!) and semi Skimmed (MMMmm!) I go semi because of the taste.

Fat can be removed from milk to produce different types of milk. Milk is available as whole milk, semi-skimmed milk or skimmed milk. The fat content of these varies:

[ul][*]

Whole milk contains 3.9g fat per 100ml,

Semi-skimmed milk provides 1.7g fat per 100ml [/align][*]

Skimmed milk provides 0.2g fat per 100ml [/align][*]

1% milk, a blend of skimmed and semi-skimmed milk has recently become available and contains 1g fat/100ml or less.[/align][/ul]

taken from a government website.......
    Good stuff, thanks graham. Semi skimmed it is for me then.