Home Chat General Chat

High Instep Problems

Ive got a really high instep and ive recently started get numb big toes. Ive got lock laces in my asic 1150. when i come back from a run the tops of my feet are red. Ive tried slackening them off slightly to no avail

Any ideas?? ive had the same model of asic for years and had no probs.....i thought it could be them..as my feet are developing/changing with IM training do you think there are different/better shoes out there???

Hope that lot makes sense I know it sounds very random

Cheers guys


  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I am no expert on runners but I do believe that the Asics 1150 is designed more for overpronators and not underpronators - and therefore would not suit your running style if you have high arches .. maybe try something more atoned to underpronation ? I could be wrong but it may help .. Gait analysis may help too.
  • threerockthreerock Posts: 10
    I wrongly used Asics 2140/2150 for ages and had problems (they are similar to 1150 - so called support shoes for pronators - bit wider). When I switched to their main shoe for neutral types, the Cumulus, things were much better. Also if you have a high instep/arch, your foot occupies a greater volume, and you may need a wider shoe. The Cumulus is made in normal width and a wide fitting which they call E or 2E or something. If your local shop has trouble getting these in, then sportsshoes.com usually have a good stock.
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    Hi Gaz. High arched feet (pes cavus) can be a bigger problem than flat feet. You have a smaller surface area so less shock absorption. a common myth is that you have high arches so you must supinate (under pronate). Its very common that high arch people also over-pronate. Why? Because pronation is a natural movement which is partly responsible for shock absorption. As stated above smaller surface area means your foot is screaming out for more shock absorption so it can lead to over-pronation. So it can go either way. Orthotics can be very good for high arched feet so I'd look at seeing a podiatrist who specialises in sports biomechaincs. Or an NHS biomechaincs specialist. Its a very competative area of podiatry to get into within the NHS so they tend to know their stuff. Either way its important you go to a podiatrist who knows biomechanics. Lots of health professionals (including inexperienced pods and physios) and especially running shops tend to miss cavoid feet. Hope that helps
Sign In or Register to comment.