Home Chat General Chat

Drinking while run training.

Hi All,

Im new to triathlon (Trying my luck at a sprint in South Cerney in june)

Although my question is more to do with my run training, i have done a few 10ks and a 10mile, and usually train either a 5k or 11k circuit, but find that i start getting really thirsty on my longer circuit. I have tried carrying bottles which i find too much of a pain and end up necking it after 500m so i can bin the bottle, eventually found a quality 20ltr berghaus with a 2ltr hydration pouch fits me nicely and is comfortable to run in. Although it does start to slosh a bit between 1/2 to 1/4 full.

How do you guys get round this? or do you just tough it out? Wanna start pushing the distance a little further with a view to doing a marathon, and general endurance.

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I tend to try and use

*a short loop several times where i can leave a drink at a point and top up as I pass, or
    *I'll cycle the route before hand (sort of mini-brick!) and drop off bottles at various points en route. keeping "old" 300 ml coke bottles etc is a boon here 'cos it means you can dump them afterwards if needed and not worry about going back to retrieve your £4.50 squirt bottle! [NB: Don't litter of course]
    *a bit like the above... on an out and back route I might carry a drink "so far" then leave it and have it on the way back
    *a route that passes friends houses so I just call by and have a drink as needed. Or take some cash and use a shop that you know you pass.

didds
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    There are various hydration systems out there. The bladder is a good idea but I'm not sure that there is much you can do about the sloshing.
    There are a number of waist belt type systems that can be used to carry bottles. I have a larger one that will take two bottles and has a pocket big enough for phone, keys, and a light waterproof. It will take 500ml lucozade sport bottles which I recycle and if required can leave at strageic points as per Didds's comments. I also have a smaller one that will take one bottle and phone/keys. The bottle is angled and very easy to get in and out on the move. I tend to use it mostly when competing.
    You could try practising carrying a bottle on shorter runs. If you get used to carrying it eventually you might not notice it so much when you have one with you on longer runs.

Mostly it is a question of trying different things and deciding what works for you and then practising.
  • Great advice from the previous two threads, I would only add that ‘toughing it out’ is generally a false economy on longer runs and risks a significant drop in performance as well as the neagative health factors associated with dehydration. I would say, as a minimum, drink when you are thirsty, however, you may wish to try drinking around 500mls per hour and seeing how this works for you.

Obviously, bodyweight, running speed, temperature and your level of hydration at the start of exercise will all play a role and so your strategy needs to take these things into consideration.

If you want to read more about hydration follow this link:

http://tzero-tri.com/2010/04/19/triathl ... -avoid-it/

I hope that helps

Joel
  • BigglesBiggles Posts: 14
    Good luck with the Tri ! I use a Fuelbelt which will hold up to 4, 8fl oz bottles for most of my longer runs. I also use it for longer races but with just 2 bottles which are topped up at the aid stations. The belt sits on the hips and has no bounce whilst running with 2 bottles but a little movement with 4 full bottles.
    I've also recently picked up a rucksack/hydration system from Inov8 - the Race Pro 18 and have to say that it is fantastic for running to work. The hydration pouch sits around the waist area so there is minimal sloshing and once the straps are suitably adjusted it is very comfortable.
    We are a little spoilt here in Perth as there are public drinking taps all over the city and its rarely more than 2km between taps -especially on the popular run routes.

http://www.inov-8.com/
    http://www.fuelbelt.com/