Home Chat General Chat

Dilemma

Hi,

After a particularly hard riding session I've developed some hamstring tendonitis in the outside rear of my right knee (showing my age I think). Cycling forums attribute this to (cleat position.. which looks okay, or) a too high saddle which I've now lowered it by 1cm (yes I need a bike fit).

Internet research is split - conservatives say do nothing, but another school of thought says keep training but at 75% volume/effort with icing before/after + ibuprofen, which I've been doing for the last 10 days. It has subsided a lot, but is not going. In particular it is aggravated after running.

Since Monday's 10km run, I swam Tuesday, and am planning on dropping the bike again and only swimming today too. Thursday is 24km run day, Friday is a normal rest day.

My two week taper for Wimbleball starts next week. I'm interested in your opinon as to whether to skip the long run this week, or go for it and let the taper remedy things.

Cheers
Ade

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I would skip the long run this week and rest it. I kept training with painful hamstrings last year and they dont get better without rest. Sometimes its worth a week out just to repair yourself. After all a fit and health body is better than a fit and broken one when it comes to Exmoor!!!!

In the long run you might want to do some exercises that hit that part of the muscle like lunges or rowing squats.

Good luck with the taper.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Thanks for the advice.

I was pain free for >24 hours so went for it last night (no ice/ibuprofen), with the intention of stopping at the merest hint of pain. Panic over, all was well.

An unintented side benefit was a PB for 1500m in the extra pool session on Wednesday!