Home Chat General Chat

New Bike on A budget

Firstly hello to everyonet his is my first post......

Basically my question is, and I apologise if this is the wrong frorum, and probably a question been asked a lot.

I completed my first SPrint Distance 2 weeks ago at Crystal Palace and loved every minute have started to re taylor my training specifically now. ( need to lose a few pounds )

I am looking for a new bike but have limited Budget between £1500 - £2000. Would prefer closer to 1500 if i can.

Was looking for some recommendations as my Bianchi C2C has serverd me well for commuting but not for the Race.

I have been Looking at a couple and not sure really open to any suggestions.
Kuota Kebel
Boardman pro carbon

cheers

Dave

Comments

• AtomicAtomic Posts: 126

I've got a new CUBE Agree GTC Race which cost £1799 and can't rate it highly enough.

There is a group test of £2000 bikes in this months Triathletes World and my Cube (although being the cheapest bike on test) came a narrow second to a £2000 Planet X.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Bike on a budget???

I was reading through your mail looking for the "I've only got £300 to spend"then I see you've got £1500 to £2000!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    lol, £1500-2000 is a very good budget for a new bike.

Myself and Gary (Bofo) have the Dolan Mythos £1000. This is a full carbon bike with full Ultegra groupset. The guys at Dolan are very good, and with give change the spec to what you need, eg Compact, triple etc.

for the money you can't beat it. and with the spare money you can get lovely fast wheels!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Argon 18 Krypton - Ihave one aka Battlecat. She terrorises everyone in it path.

I got mine for between that budget. Came with Fulcrum 5 wheels, Verdstein Fortezza tyres, Bontrager carbon seat post (reversible) Massi stem, shimano 105 oh the frame and forks included all carbon baby.

Looks amazing, is amazing....

Frames are a bloody joy, stiff and good quality carbon. I shall now stop.....
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Where do you live ?

Do you want a road bike or a TT bike ?

£2k is alot of dosh for a 1st bike BTW.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    No No No

Please someone tell him about WAT !!!!

If you have a better half you will only spend a maximum of £150 nudge nudge :roll:

Seriously that is a hell of a whack for a first bike, you will either be very fortunate a get it right first time or you may find yourself having to lay out even more in the future depending if (hah if) you become addicted to this sport ... by the way how the hell can the economy be in recession when triathlon is growing? Where is all our money going?

Please have a good trawl through the posts on bikes, there are all sorts of opnions; my own suggestion would be spend no more than half that and I throw in a few links:
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... /4803.html
    this one is a year old but it will give you plenty to think about:
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... /3957.html
    Also this one:
    http://dailycycle.co.uk/post/2010/01/21 ... a3800.aspx

I did see an article a few weeks back with quite a line up but I'm damned if I can find it now - sorry.

You will get a decent bike for under a grand including the Boardman carbon. I would bank the rest as I am pretty sure in a year or two you will be lookimg to get a tri bike but as I said there are different opinions on this and there are many who fight a good fight on a road bike, so take in all the suggestions, have a good trawl, come back with more questions and by the way - welcome and good luck
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    very good advice.
  • blaze1235blaze1235 Posts: 64
    Thanks for your replies all appreciated.

lol Flava it is a budget just not a low one.

OK to be a bit clear i have been cycling up to 150 miles a week for 3 years with a 30 mile round trip to work.
    It is not my first bike i have

Trek SU650 Hybrid (dirty commuter bike)
    Specialized Allez (first road bike)
    Bianchi CTC ALU/Carbon (cycled London to edinburgh on this)

I am really happy with the Bianchi but i am looking for something lighter with better kit for the race.
    trouble is i am around bike nuts and all spending 2.5 + on their bikes.
    And i'm a man i like Gucci Kit :roll:
    I have bought a £1000 cycle to work voucher off a friend who can no longer use it for £500 so put me in a good position
    I want as much as i can get in my price range

I'd heard Planet X were awesome but suffer a little with weaker carbon?

I'm a little confused as i am wanting to step up a bracket and not really done that much research.
    i want an aggressive road over TT as i will get more use that much i have worked out

Dave
    Well Dave (great name by the way), if you are anywhere near Bridgtown Cycles I would strongly recommend speaking to Mike Taylor. He's a top bloke, will listen to exactly what you want, talk you through the options, make suggestions, deliver the goods and post sales service is top notch.

It really is worth making the trip. I know of people who've travelled hundreds of miles to pay him a visit.

Other great LBS's are available of course, but I've yet to find one that even comes close to Bridgtown.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Boardman Team comp

A carbon dream!

And onlu a grand!!!!!!!

That leaves £500 to do more kit shopping.

A a lower WAT, GAT
    Boardman is definately high on the agenda.

Just wondering wether the extra 500 is worth spending for the PRO Carbon.

I looked through everyone's advice and i have to say some lovely machines.

I am limited a little by who will accept the Halfords voucher.

Flava thanks for the advice i will definately give them a call I am in South East London\Kent so a trip to good old brighton for the day is good suggestion. Maybe even break out the Bianchi for a ride, Ditchling Beacon woohoo
    Nowhere near Brighton I'm afraid... Bridgtown, not far from Birmingham
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I'm thinking of getting one of these:

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... power.html
    Whoa PC_67 - love a conspiracy theory.

Blaze, I note that you say
    I am really happy with the Bianchi but i am looking for something lighter with better kit for the race.
    trouble is i am around bike nuts and all spending 2.5 + on their bikes.
    Would they be cyclists or triathaletes?

I am wondering if you are going to end up with a decent road bike in the Bianchi, a better road bike in a Boardman Pro Carbon? and then having blown your budget in a year or so then start itching to get a tri bike ... just a thought.
    Zac,

your not wrong and this is my dilemma,

I loce the tri bikes look purpose etc, never ridden one, i'm being realistic here i think useability over money spent. time in the saddle etc

i dunno so I suppose i could do 1 or 2 out of my daily commutes on the tri bike but not easy I would think

But this is a topic i understand has been argued a lot
    Absolutely Blaze, we all have to balance our own priorities so yes I understand what is the point of having a tri bike that can only be used a few times a year when a mega spec road bike will enable you to compete and also use on a daily basis. I think with the budget you have available you will be able to get a very tidy bike and by all accounts a Boardman Pro carbon will give you that bang for the buck and let you use your voucher ... unless someone of course has another opinion ... which no doubt there will be as we are quite a diverse, yet firndly bunch here.