Home Chat General Chat

Clinchers or Tubs?

okennyokenny Posts: 231
I want to get some fast(er) wheels for my TT bike...on some normal ones right now (Aksium Race)

I was thinking about some carbon deepish wheels, but I have noticed that the vast majority of such wheels available are Tubs......(there seem to be exceptions - i.e. Zipps - but MANY are tubs)

I have no experience with tubs.....what are the advantages/disadvantages with regard to triathlon?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    One of the main differences is weight.

Tubs are lighter than clinchers.

The old debate tubs v clinchers is well documented and many people will use clinchers for training and tubs for racing, as I do.

I find that my tub wheels are a lot faster than my training clinchers but thats like comparing an apple with an orange.

Tubs, initially are awkward to change, they take a fair bit of time and in a race you can pretty well call it race it over unless you are amazing at changing tubs. Some people carry pitstop which is a foam filler that seals the tub puncture and allows you to continue racing, however not everyone likes that stuff.
    You can either glue a tub onto the wheel or use tub tape - the later being the easiest option.

Clinchers are much easiers to change but with the additional of the alu rim, they are much heavier.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thanks for the great reply....

all along the lines of what I have heard.
    I want some fast wheels, but I don't want a situation where in my IM next year I have to drop out because I can't change my puncture........
    The pros change punchtures all the time (Chrissis was able to do it in a flash, with a slight mishap) - are they using chinchers or tubs?
    Chrissie uses clinchers.... the old cliche race in what you train. But then she's got amazing power to turn those clinchers over.

Don't let changing a tub put you off, I got my carbon wheel just after xmas and was really apprehensive about changing them. Took a visit to the LBS and now I've cracked it to a certain extent.

If you want fast wheels then there are loads to choose from, tubs or clinchers are a personal choice. If I had to chose then I'd say tubs. Eventually I'll move away from clinchers and to tubs.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Chrissie uses clinchers as she is familiar with them and it hasn't done her any harm.

My understanding of the clincher v tub thing is that tubs were how bicycle tyres used to be until these new fangled clinchers came on the scene and were an endangered species until carbon wheels came out.With tubs one could have higher pressures=greater puncture resistance, less rolling resistance, more aerodynamic. If a tub punctures it flattens against the wheel and even where there is a catastrophic loss in pressure it still foms a rideable configuration. There are horror stories about the tub rolling off after a repair but I can't find any documented accounts of that happening.

Again my understanding is that clincher wheels are heavier and if there is a puncture at speed is more hazardous as the tyre casing can rip off the rim. If you have carbon wheels with an alloy braking strip apparantly clicnhers are more susceptible to the heat transfer and can explode.

Regarding repairs in competion:
    Tub; rip off tub, put down new tape or use existing tape unless replacement is prteglued, replace with prestretched replacement, whack on CO2 pump and inflate.
    Clincher; lever tyre off rim, rip out iiner tube, relace with new inner taking care not to get it trapped between the rim and tyre, whack on CO2 and inflate.

Some people also use Vittoria Pit Stop to seal and partially inflate then finish off with CO2 or depending on the tyre pretreat with with Pit Stop or Tufo before their A race (lasts up to 3 months) and complete without realising that they sustained a puncture - now that's got to be a good idea.

I am looking to upgrade my wheels and have now decided to go tub based on my research what others have told me. - Discusion will never die though.
    Zac,

Good points there.

On the issue of wheels..colbert wheels..def worth a look
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Personally I find tubs a lot easier to change than clinchers. Admittedly when new, they can be a b*tch to get on, this is why you never use a new one for the race.

For changing tubs, all you do is rip the tyre off (easier if you leave an inch of the rim opposite valve unglued), put new one on and inflate. For clinchers, you have to mess about with the inner tube, levering tyres off and back on, taking care not to pinch it etc.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you are happy with using tubs, and confident in changing them in the event of a flat (or have enough time to practise) then go for them, otherwise stick to clinchers.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Re: Clinchers or Tubs?

Post by agent_ti » 15 Jun 2010 12:22

For clinchers, you have to mess about with the inner tube, levering tyres off and back on, taking care not to pinch it etc
    This might help someone...

I never use levers to put clinchers back on... roll the tyre on.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tm1wewekVQ

When you are faced with a tight a*sed tyre, it doesnt look like it will work, but it does.