Home Chat General Chat

changing crankset!!

can anyone tell me i want to change from compact to 53/39 im running 50/34 how easy is it to change over and do i need to change my chain and front mech and anything else cheers stev

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    IMO it's quite a complex task, but manageable. Depends if you're just swapping chainrings, or the the full front drive.

You need to be sure you have the right tools for the brand you're switching from and to. Also need to be sure of bottom bracket type and size. So make sure you do your checks before buying the new gear (pun intended).

If you've got all the right bits/tools it's then fairly straightforward.

You might need to change your chain depending how new/old it is. You shouldn't need to change your front mech, but you will need to re-position/ re-tune it.

There's loads of info online on how to do the changeover, I don't have the links handy, but Sheldon is the guru as always.
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    cheers for the reply , so i dont need to change the front mech or chain i have the correct bb just need to change the chainrings cheers steve
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Chain will need shortening.

Where are you?

Someone local might do it for you.

If you're near Huddersfield, I'll do it for you.

Pat...
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    um, pretty much what has been said above - you probably will need to change/shortern the chain to fit, which if changing may need a new cassette too (depending on wear etc) but it shouldn't take too much effort - just be sure to tighten it back up properly you wouldn't want to have it come loose on a hill climb or sprint and fall off...
    you wouldn't want to have it come loose on a hill climb or sprint and fall off...
    ...exactly what happened to me the first time I raced after building my race bike. I hadn't closed the chain pin correctly and it worked loose - half way up a hill during a sprint tri ! The chain didn't fall off though, the pin held about 10% in, and everything seized up - I thought my legs had failed, and kept trying to go again, only to come to quick sudden stops. Eventually I figured out what was wrong and hammered the pin back in with my water bottle, not really a recommended fix!!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    tesseract - it was the fear of something like that happening that led me to get a full (expensive too) service the day after i built my bike, well ok i let them finish it as part of the service as i couldn't get the required torque into the crankset .
    I did think about that, but wanted to learn how to do it myself (plus I'm skint after spending too much on the bike bits :roll: )... still you live and learn! At least I didn't actually fall over...

...I saved that delight for when there was a bus full of people to see it
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I changed mine with no problem. Depends what you are swapping from and too and if you can use the same BB.

I had a 53/42 130BCD FSA Gossamer 'Standard' and swapped it out for a 50/39 FSA Gossamer 'Compact. Took me 15 minutes. No special tools other than Allen keys and a chain tool £5 off ebay. To sort out the chain length:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

If going from compact to standard you will need to raise the front derailleur and from stadard to compact lower it.

It is not rocket science but just methodical attention to detail - but if you are due a service then £15 for the service and for someone to fine tweek it sounds like a plan.
  • blaze1235blaze1235 Posts: 64
    £15 for a service Zac?

you obviously don't live in London.

Steve glad someone else asked this question as I am contemplating the same.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I take it things are a bit pricier in the Grand Metropole.

My new bike was built up using most of the components of my old bike. The guy who did it was Stepehn from Barron Cycles is Stow, Lincolnshire. Imagine a rural house with stables off a country line on the outskirts of a village; the stables are converted into a shop and workshops. To strip down one bike and build up the second using additional new cables, tape and a Shimano DA7900 BB (all included in the price) cost £110.

The downside is that most people are on the minimum wage and if you earn more than £17K you are doing alright.

Now this might be worth a look - don't know if it applies just to Halfords bought bikes:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_173029
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Well if any of you fancy a trip to West Yorkshire (near Huddersfield) I can do most bike jobs for a pittance, a brew and a waffle (not the grid type you put in the oven - or on a BBQ).

Pat...
  • blaze1235blaze1235 Posts: 64
    Avoneer wrote:
    Well if any of you fancy a trip to West Yorkshire (near Huddersfield) I can do most bike jobs for a pittance, a brew and a waffle (not the grid type you put in the oven - or on a BBQ).

Pat...
    next time I do the London Edinburgh cycle i will stop in for a quick service

and oh yeah the Dales are well scary at 2am I swear i was being chased by a cow ghost