Home Chat General Chat

A long walk in socks....oh, and some chain advice...

Having been working nights for the last week, and 12 hour shifts at that, I have found it a tad difficult getting in some training. Therefore, yesterday just to make sure I did something, I got up a couple of hours earlier to nip out on the bike. Just a quick 20k's I thought. A short time later at about 15k, my chain snapped. At this point I thought no problem, just give the other half a ring and she can pick me up. Then I realised I had left my phone at home! Following my 5k walk in my socks I then arrived home to find that I had also forgotten to take my front door key with me and my other half had gone out for the evening. Fortunately, my friendly neighbour drove me the few miles to my in-laws where I retrieved a spare key. Now of course I need to replace the chain. With regards to fitting it, how do I gauge the tension/slack required?

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Unlucky, I think we've all been in a similar situation and it's never nice. I've attached a link that should help you sort the chain. For any (techy)bike related queries there is loads of good info on Park Tools and Sheldon Brown's website:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I used a link extractor to break my Shimano chain in a furious bout of bike maintenance a few weeks ago. Once I'd got my cogs all clean, degreased and regreased again I realised that you can't put a Shimano chain back together without special pointy rivets.

Being paranoid, I now take a chain link extractor and a couple of special rivets with me (along with my inner tubes and levers).

You can get the rivets cheaply from wiggle.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    theres a long line of chains to choose from but i only proffesionally recommend either KMC or wippermann and maybe some of the top end SRAM but if it was me buying it i would go for a WIPPERMANN CONNEX 10SX stainless steel(£39.99*) or CONNEX 1011 lw(£51.99*)both offer fantastic durability,low friction and of course they use a unique XBH hardening process wich gives the m superior durability,flexability and ridgidty and low friction thus making compenents like cassette and chainrings last longer becouse they would be less whare on them.If money was no object ile buy a WIPPERMANN CONNEX 10TR Ti(£199.99*).lightest and most expensive cycle chain on the market.its crazy.lol

*TAKEN OFF www.wiggle.co.uk
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    Agree with Bopo, take special pin and multichain tool, also carry an SRAM powerlink which I can use in preference to the pin