Home Chat General Chat

Trenthan Big Half

pippip Posts: 170
Any body doing Trentham Big Half next week july 11th

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Yep im doing it! I only live 5 mins away:)

Shadow is doing it too....

Have you seen the recent change to the bike course?? Its now gona be a hard ride.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Not seen that and now i'm not a happy bunny.Is it on thr Trenthan homepage?
    Yep just checked out Trentham homepage .I'm top of the shop numero uno but somehow i don't think that's where i'll finish.I'll be more than happy to under 6 hours.Anyway come and say hello and wish me luck.Cheers
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Yup i'm doing it... This is my final race before IMUK so this will give me a good indication of whats lies in front of me.
  • belfield88belfield88 Posts: 10
    Theres a decent hill once you turn left at the junction out of trentham towards beech. You think it would be better use a road bike rather than TT? Not sure if anyone is familiar with the area.
    Yep thats a bugger of a slog, and the A519 from Clayton bank to the A51 roundabout is very undulating. But you can easily hit 45mph down the A51 to the Darlaston Inn roundabout and back upto Trentham is quick.

Ill be using the TT bike with disc....I live in Newcastle so know the area well. TT will be fine for the strong cyclists.
    I'm still undecided to which bike to use......

For me I think comfort is King so perhaps the roadie will be the best option.....
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Not impressed, picked this due to lack of hills!
    Even the original course was a tough one. fastest bike split last year 2:21 i think....and that was by a pro. Now I know I could this course in sub 2:30....however this new one....may add 15mins onto that.... plus now they changed the procedure again...

If you get a red light you have to stop. There will be marshalls taking numbers etc. They say it wont affect your time, as they credit you with the time lost. HOwever in my case I ride at my Threshold so stopping will mean LActic acid will build up. not good for me, but ill just have to cope with it. The Lights at the top of Clayton wont be too bad as youll be not be going fast anyway as its at the top of a hill. The lights next to the gardens however will disrupt your flow as you could really do with carrying some speed through the junction turning left ready to climb the hill.

Well see what happens....
  • belfield88belfield88 Posts: 10
    The hill after the clayton lights is a larger one, after the left turning. Tbh im not that happy with this event this year. Its annoying how its now been changed so we have to stop at lights and by the sounds of it they are short on marshalls aswell.
    Belfield,

prob with all intents a lot of people won't be happy but bear in mind that its prob the LA/ Highways Agency and police who have imposed the changes on them. Generally they won't have just changed the route for the sake of it and for all we know the changes could be imposed at a very late stage.

I'm still looking forward to it, this is my final race before IMUK and the race that I'm looking to guage my pacing so I'm not going out hell for leather on this one.
    Bloody hell that was a tough bike route,especially with the wind as well .But i completed it in 6hours 39 mins.I think the swim was longer than anticipated too because it took me an hour to do when in training i've been doing the distance in 45 mins.The water was a shitty as well and only anout 2 foot deep in some parts,my hands were touching the bottom at some points which was a bit distracting
    Swim 1.05
    Bike 3.30
    Run 2.07
    Still well chuffed for completing though
    The swim was tough. I was home in 6hrs 50mins and I was hoping for nearer the 6hrs 30m

I found the run the hardest part, the heat was cranked up by the time we got on the run. The wind as well that was blowing was making it tough as well espec after climbing the hills then to get the head wind right in the face was nails.

loved it tho..... bring on IM!!
    Yeh very tough bike with the wind, it seemed to get more windy the longer we were out!

My splits:

Swim+T1 - 41mins something

Bike - 2:42

Run+T2 - 1:43

Overall - 5:09

7th Overall - 2nd in 30-34 AG

Swim is always slow here. Im usually a 29 min for 1900m. I got out in 37 yesterday.
    The winner is usually a 25min 1900m and he did 30mins.....

Well done to all on a hard course and boiling hot weather!
    Hey Hussler did you have your RAF tri suit on ,if you did i remember you passing me on the dual carriageway and thinking to myself that you were bloody quick
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    First ever DNF

I entered this as my climbing on the bike is rubbish, the hills did for my legs, and I went off too quick on bike too. Had lots of minor mishaps too, which didn't help.

Found myself at the start of the third run lap and my legs wouldn't run. I could have walked the rest but couldn't face six miles at slow walking pace - not really in the whole finish at all costs, crawl over the line spirit

I actually managed the bike in about 3.15, can't help thinking I'd have been OK on the original course (or indeed if I'd ridden five laps of similar pace).

Still, no better way to learn than trying and stuffing it up. There's a lot of mistakes I won't make again.
    Pip - Yes I had my RAF kit on riding a white and red Argon TT bike with a disc. I averaged about 25mph on the dual carriageway bit so yes I was shifting! lol

Jules - Gutted mate, It was a hard course! You deffo would of finished the old course. Sometimes there isnt any point in finishing a race when it goes like that, you can injure yourself or just destroy your body. As you say use it as experience for later races! chin up dude!:)
    Jules,

Sorry to hear about the DNF. I found the run really brutal, I had been pacing myself on the bike as part of the IM training and felt okish when I first started running but it went horribly wrong after the first lap. I changed to a walk -run - walk - run and it was torture.

Ended up my shoulder and neck are all burnt with the sun.

Chin up and try and take postives from the race.