Home Chat General Chat

Bike and turbo training

This is my first season in Triathlon and I bought a bike a couple of months ago. I go out two to three times a week putting in between 20 to 40k, usually trying to beat my previous time for each route. On the basis that I am doing some Sprint events and a couple of Olympic distances this year, can anyone give me advice on how I should be training. My swim and run are ok, but my biking lets me down!!!! A mate told me to just keep turning in the miles, but is this effective? Also, I am tempted to buy a turbo trainer. Can anyone advise a decent but cheap trainer......I'm on a budget!!!!!!!!

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    In my world turbos are what you do (or in my case don't) do in the winter when its is too crappy to go out. Your quantity of biking sounds fine, but I would build in hills & intervals to boost strength & endurance, variety is the spice of life..
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Might I suggest to add some running off the bike to get used to the jelly legs we all love!?[;)]
  • I do try and do at least one brick session a week. This usually includes the full bike and run over the sprint distance. I have done a couple of 40k bikes with a short run after, but should I be doing the full 10k run once in a while just to get used to doing the whole thing?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Looks to me like you don't need a lot advice, you're doing great.

You don't need to do the full 10k in a brick. But make sure that yours 1st k off the bike is fast, so you learn your body to be fast off the bike.

cheers,

benny.