Home Chat General Chat

Which Iron Distance Race

I have entered the Bustinskin middle distance race in September as my first 1/2 iron distance race with the idea that I'll see how that goes and then decide if I want to do a full iron distance race next year.

Seeing the reviews of Roth and the fact that it's a 'fast' race and therefore should be easier and that entries have now opened but sell out fast, it got me thinking about entering now.

But as this may well be my 1 and only iron distance race is this the best option to go for and what is your favourite iron distance race. I don't feel the need to do an official Mdot event and am happy to travel, but I'm not sure about going outside of Europe due to costs.

I know it's going to hurt whichever event I choose but is it best to go for the easiest option for my 1st event or should I go for the best setting? IM France sounds great but the big climb on the bike fairly early on looks hard.

Alternatively should I not get carried away at this stage and do the Bustinskin tri 1st and take it from there?

Comments

• ckyork2012ckyork2012 Posts: 12
    I thiink there are merrits both for waiting to see how you feel after the bustinskin and for going for all i can say from personal experiance is that after my first half iron man the next thing i wanted to do was never touch my bike again but now a few months on i am thinking an iron man in the next year or two is a brillient idea whatever you do dont make the decision straight after the half
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 11
    I'd go for it - if you wait until after Bustinskin Roth, and most others, will probably be full. No IM is easy, they are all hard and it basically comes down to how well prepared you are. Roth is as good or better than most in terms of atmosphere and support so you can't go wrong - Happy training!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Challenge Barcelona
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    A chap I know from my last gym almost pulled out of IMUK last year as he did a half earlier in the year and thought if that was a half then IMUK will be a monster. He reckoned that in retrospect he should have ditched the 70.3 and just gone straight for IMUK as he said it was not twice as bad if that makes sense.

It's the little fears that gnaw away. Iron distance is a challenge, it will invariably hurt for most of us but as triathletes we say 'what the flipping heck (or words to that effect) I'm going to go for it' as should you Simon, go for it. You will have a year to prepare for whichever one you do.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Abu Dhabi long course..... defo recommend it.

I loved it so much the first time I decided to go back
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    S11 - just looked at the Abu Dhabi website and video - see what you mean - exotic location, closed roads, F1 circuit, well organised - must have been damn hot though. V tempting as I have it in my mind to do one foreign event a year.
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    Do the Norseman if you looking for a serious challenge, race ends at the top of a mountain

http://www.nxtri.com/
  • ckyork2012ckyork2012 Posts: 12
    mexico - flat bike and run well almost but 4 laps also pretty hot but expensive
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I really enjoyed Switzerland this year, but it is expensive (and the price has gone up this year for entry) but it is well organised and the support was fantastic especially on the run and the parts of the bike which are in the city area.

For next year I am trying to decide which IM to do my current options are: Roth, Challenge Copenhagen, IM Regensburg, IM Austria (if i can get a place), IM France, IMUK, or IM Switzerland again - It really is a difficult decision.

As for when to enter - they sell out so you need to decide quickly. As is said an IM will hurt. I doesn't matter if it is flat, hilly or in the niddle, it will hurt you, thats an IM. SO decide if you are ready for the challenge of it, the 7 months of solid training, giving up your social life, being tired, achy and irritable for most of that and then decide if that is something you want to do. If it is, choose the one you want, and JFDI!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Conehead wrote:
    But, he's bald fat and northern - so generally should be ignored.
    Too right, I did a half distance and all I could think about was doing it properly and hearing those words "You are an Ironman" Now I have to wait another year

As Ben says, Challenge Barcelona. Did the half distance there this year, the full distance will be an extra two laps of the course. Was targeting 6 hours, 5:45 at best. Smashed round in 5:18 after an awesome bike. Easyjet/Ryanair flights, 3* hotel on the race course so wasn't too expensive either. Well supported and organised race too. Will definitely go back there and do the full distance in a couple of years time.
  • I have now entered for Roth 2011, the race reports I read look very good and I wanted to keep the number of laps on the bike and the run to a minimum so 2 laps of the bike and 1 for the run look good.

I like the idea of having alot of support the whole way round as well.

Now I need to keep the enthusiasm going for the next 12 months.