Home Chat General Chat

Fitting clip on tri bars to road bars

I bought a pair of pro lite clip on tri bars from CRC but I am having trouble getting them to stay in place. I hve a Boardman comp with a ritchey bar that tapers outwards from the stem. This means the clip ons slide down as the bar narrows, and become loose. I have tried using the shims provided, and have tightened up the bolts as tights as I dare (I don't have a torque bar) but definitely more than finger tight. Is this narrowing bar standard in other brands, and how do you guys keep your tri bars fixed in placed?

Comments

• biccybiccy Posts: 9
    An informative answer from conehead, a lot of bars taper like u mention, I haven't bought tri bars yet, so don't know myself, but I'm sure someone will come up with an answer for u.
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Hi,

They will never stay tight if your handle bars taper.

Either get a round tri base bar or some other drop bars without the taper.

Or move the clip ons right onto each side of the stem and adjust the arms accordingly (as long as the bars are not tapered there)?

Pat...
  • Avoneer wrote:
    Hi,

They will never stay tight if your handle bars taper.

Either get a round tri base bar or some other drop bars without the taper.

Or move the clip ons right onto each side of the stem and adjust the arms accordingly (as long as the bars are not tapered there)?

Pat...
    Yes you need to get the clip ons closer to the stem but they will then probably be too close together.

New bars might be the only solution.
  • jmurt71jmurt71 Posts: 46
    I'm guessing the shims you have are hard plastic - might be worth trying a softer material between the bars and the clip-ons that will 'grip' to the bar better - like silicone, rubber, etc. Take a trip down to your local hardware or builders providers store and see if you can get something the right thickness and fairly pliable that you can cut into the right shape. If you buy new bars specifically for tapering handlebars, my guess is all that would be different would be a special shim to allow for the taper, no difference in the actual bars themselves.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    jmurt71 wrote:
    If you buy new bars specifically for tapering handlebars, my guess is all that would be different would be a special shim to allow for the taper, no difference in the actual bars themselves
    I've never seen tri bars built or shimmed for tapering handle bars. It wouldn't work. Bear in mind you're going to be hanging onto these things and wringing your bike's neck so a taper wouldn't work.

Getting some new handlebars which are waisted rather than tapered would allow you to fit the tri bars onto the wider (or narrower part using the provided shims) and would solve the problem, but only temporarily. You see, you'll then want bar-end gear shifters. Then you'll be embarassed of your drop bars and you'll need to get a base bar and aero brake levers.

Of course, your front end will then be too high and your seat too far back, so you need a new frame. And forks. And it might as well be carbon. Then what will you do with your existing chainset, brakes, seat etc. No... you'll need new stuff.

My goodness, these tri bars are expensive. You'd be better off getting a nice shiny new carbon bike.

See? Conehead's right. He's always right in the end.
  • steve68steve68 Posts: 18
    Sadly buying a brand new shiny carbon bike is out of the question, so my wife says. And tri is only one of many hobbies, kids, etc, all needing new gear on a regular basis..
    Is it common for bars to taper from the stem, or generally are handlebars the same thickness throughout? Mine are 31.8, then taper to something around 26 about halfway from the bend. I could maybe fit them nearer to the drops - how far out from the centre is too far to be worth it aerodynamically? From pictures they don't appear too different to other models so maybe I need to fit them further out, or not bother.
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    It depends how adjustable the clip on arms and arm pads are.

You could put them right next to the stem if the clip on bars can be adjusted to point out and the arm pads moved right out.

Have you got a pic of your current drops and your clip ons?

Pat...