Home Chat General Chat

Ironman done - So what next???

2»

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    TRIumphant wrote:
    [quote="Flavadave":1bedd436]There's also the Dart 10k swim which looks awesome (through the OSS). Swimming with the current along the river Dart. Maybe next year for me, too much on at the moment.
    I've come so close to entering this, but just need to grow a pair. Some of my Masters Club are doing it, but I promised the WAT at the start of the year that after IM that would be it for me for this year. hmmmm![/quote:1bedd436]

Gary... You did 10km in a frickin swimming pool! You'll nail the Dart 10k! And its with the flow, probably equivalent to 6km or so.

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Unfortunately, it's the same day that my wife is running her first 10k, so I promised I'd be there to support her . It's a pain when your other half starts exercising, events and training sessions clash, ho hum!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Swimming to the Isle of Wight is still on my to-do list. Bit of a pain getting the tides right, dodging the tankers etc, though. I fancy going from Portsmouth, mainly 'cos it would be further.
  • wraghwragh Posts: 6
    Double Ironman? Marathon des Sables could be a good option if you get all the sponsorship etc.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Running isn't my strong point so Marathon Des Sables would not be enjoyable and definately is not on my to do list.

Same with a double Ironman, simply not on the agenda. I stuggled to get in the required training for Ironman, so anything more than that simply isn't realistic.

I like some of the threads mentioned above though and find things like the Dart swim very appealing, so currently thinking of a good mixture of events next year, including some Half Ironman and long distance swimming.

Current thinking is for a June/ July main HIM (will probably do one early season as a fitness check) followed by some late season long distance swim races.
  • dfultondfulton Posts: 12
    I've been having a good look at the Marathon Des Sables and quite fancy it. Trouble is there seems to be a waiting list of a couple of years.

However, I was chatting with a guy I met at IMCH who reckoned the queue could be jumped if you registered from another country. I work in Brunei, so thinking of trying this angle. Does anyone know whether this is the case, or is it just a case of waiting your turn??
  • If you're looking for more distance how about the channel swim, cycling to India and then climbing up Everest?! A friend of mine met the guy, Charlie, who's doing it at the moment. He's hoping more people will follow in his footsteps/pedal strokes/arm pulls in years to come!
    Wouldn't like to plug a website but what he's doing seems so ridiculous, incredible and inspiring! www.theworldtri.com
    Sign me up for next year! Just need to get a support boat, support trucks, mountaineering experience, a few years off work...
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    There's a 10k Ullswater swim too. I think it's already happened this year, but I imagine it'll probabaly run again next year. Also, with it being a lake swim, sounds harder (and colder) than the 'with current' Dart 10k.

Putting that on my agenda of impossible tasks for next year....
  • dfultondfulton Posts: 12
    Actually Conehead, I've been thinking about getting fast as f*ck, as well as hard as f*ck for a while too. Been looking into the whole crossfit thing as a means: http://www.crossfitendurance.com/index.php what's your take??

D
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    101SUSY wrote:
    There's a 10k Ullswater swim too. I think it's already happened this year, but I imagine it'll probabaly run again next year. Also, with it being a lake swim, sounds harder (and colder) than the 'with current' Dart 10k.

Putting that on my agenda of impossible tasks for next year....
    The ullswater was cancelled this year... something about not being able to get enough safety crew? Hopefully it will be on next year as looks like a great swim.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I've been to BMF classes - the ones in London are awesome. I consider myself to be pretty fit and I felt beasted by the end of it. Loved it.

Watch out for some of the regional ones though - they dont tend to be as hardcore and the one I went to felt more like a social club than a hard workout. But that's just me. If I'm paying someone to train me, I want my body to be wishing that I hadnt by the end of it!
  • How about this one http://www.maratona.it/en/
  • Arch to Arc?

http://www.enduroman.com/archtoarc.html

The event starts with an 87 mile run from London's Marble Arch to the Dover coast, then the athlete must swim across the English Channel to the French coast, and finally the athlete finishes with a 181 mile bike from Calais to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
    For this challenge, the clock starts at Marble Arch and stops at Arc de Triomphe.

and doesnt cost £6k quoted to swim the channel - its £1800!

----

another fantastic big event is a hotter equivalent to NorseMan, called EmbrunMan in France. About a 1000 folks do it:

http://www.embrunman.com/indexen.php
  • HeweyHewey Posts: 8
    I ticked the IM box this year at the forestman. I will definitely be going back next year as it's such a great event however I'm also tempted with this as a different challenge;

http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/Home.aspx

I was thinking of the mtb race next year, I think the 100mile trail run might be a bit much
  • Colin here
    What about swimming the Pentland Firth? Never been completed before, they say the current is 10-15 knots!!! A guy tried it but failed due the currents.(Its on I player. the man who swam to Scotland). Too hardcore for me methinks.