Home Chat General Chat

Swimming different strokes

I often don't swim any stroke other than crawl, I always thought it was a waste of time. But someone mentioned to me recently that I should do a few other strokes i.e. breast and back, I can't do fly! As this may actually improve my crawl.
Anyone have any opinions on this and has anyone found any real benefit?

Comments

• 55ant55ant Posts: 22
    there is no harm in it, breastroke will help you learn how to catch the water better as it is more of a sculling action, but dont rush into it, if you havent done breastroke for a while then it can mess up your knees a bit,

all strokes in the water will make you more confident at being in the water, fitnes and strength wise back stroke is great and will help any muscle imbalance from just doing crawl

hth, ant
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I was told by a swim dude in my local pool to try doing 2 lenghts (33 metre pool) of hard front crawl and then a length of breast or back stroke. he rackons it im[roves overall swim fitness and changes your muscle groups used.
    I havent tried it as my breast stroke is worse than rubbish and I would stand a good chance of drowning.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Wasn't Swimming Different Strokes,an episode from a sitcom with Gary Coleman in the early eighties.

What yo takin about Willis.