Home Chat General Chat

LONDON TRI ROLL OF HONOUR

2»

Comments

• [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Bman wrote:
    Did anyone else have the misery of the 1.5 hrs sitting in the car trying to escape the carpark yesterday? As we were leaving a couple of shiny new rolls royce silver phantoms entered the carpark with wealthy-looking sheiks inside. New sponsors for next year perhaps?
    Yep, this was rediculous, took us about 1hr45mins to get out the car park, and 6hrs in total to get back to Bristol.

Apparently some numties were riding bikes up and down the dual carriage way so they closed the roads, pain in the arse these 'athletes'.
  • SuzieDSuzieD Posts: 12
    London was my first OD tri and my third in total - I did it in 3.27, quite happy although next year....

Spending 2 hours in the car trying to get to the A13 afterwards was not the highlight!

Suzie
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    OD. My third year, knocked about 5 mins off my time last year, even with that horrible extra barefoot 1km in transistion.

Rubbish swim (35 mins), just can't nail it, I'm going to have to get some coaching or something. Great cycle (1hr 3) even having a brief chat with a guy I was leapfrogging (I'd overtake him on the flats, he'd catch and overtake me on the hills). A good run (46 mins), giving me a final time of 2:33.

I really wanted to break 2:30 this year...damn swimming.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Made up with first OD time of 2:25:16-I was aiming for under 2:45.

Great day, but agree with previous posts about trying to get out of the car park! Saw some ver tired people on their tri bikes cycling back into Londonand actually felt ealous of them!
  • Yeap.. I left around 11.30 and it took over 1 hour to go from the carpark entrance to the A13 less than a mile away. thank god we decided to head east not west!!!!

I actaully could of cycled home quicker than than the time it took to drive home
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Well done all some great times there

I did the sprint on the Saturday and ended up with 1:19.36 - which I was quite pleased with - just under the 1hr20 I was aiming for.

Can't beleive how long the transitions were though ...

Big thanks to the marshalls - 90% off them were on the ball and gave good encouragement all round .. especially on the run.
  • Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • u_j_2001u_j_2001 Posts: 47
    London is the event that got me into triathlons.
    Did 2 Dorney Lake Sprints in the build up to the London 3:30pm sprint.

The Good:
    Great atmosphere especially along the run - knocked 3.5 minutes off my 5k pb.
    Swim was good, slightly surreal seeing all the big dreary buildings around - 13th out of the water.

The Bad:
    Bike - how boring! Cycling in the wastelands of the docklands in the rain. Not fun.
    Transitions - never ending, although very organised for such a massive event.

The Ugly:
    The smell - along the cycling, (closer to the main car park) there was an awful smell - like rotten fish.
    1.5 hours to get to the A13 after the event

Conclusion: Very happy I did it, 1:24:52, would have done a PB if not for the long transitions and rain. Don't see myself doing it next year.
    Windsor - here I come.
  • I did an Olympic Team Relay with a couple guys at work.
    i was first doing the swim .. i have my own OD in 2 weeks so it was good training too.
    Got round in 35:20 .. still need to work on my stroke but happy enough .. PB is 32:09 so will work on that another day, plus in the full OD I'll be concentrating on being able to finish the next two disciplines.
    The transition seemed to go on and on .. I struggled to get up on the platform, a Marshall had to help me up .. i almost had him in the water once my weight came out of the water
    wetsuit off quickly then someone gave me a cup of Gatorade, this was actually a bad idea as i then ran straight up the stairs and started running through to bike transition but i just couldn't move, no blood in the legs etc .. i was really panting and could still feel the Gatorade wanting to come up again .. anyway finally got to my cyclist and handed over the race chip and that was my bit done.
    In T2 our guys 'missed each other' and we ended up getting a 9min T2 but our splits were all very respectable. It was their first time and they're really interested in trying a sprint of their own now.

great day .. quite nervous about my own OD now ...
  • clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    I noticed Jenson Button in The Sun today with a time 2hrs 7m. Not only a petrol head but a tri head.
    Button's performance was very impressive, knocking on the door of the elite times. Not bad for a racing driver!
  • 2 hrs 21 mins 31 secs.

Swam like a brick for a personal worst 29 1/2 mins.
    Cycled on my own for pretty much the whole leg having missed the quicker guys. Managed 1 hr 10 (av. 32 kph) which wasn't bad given my lack of bike miles this season. Also went over on my backside trotting out of T1. Cleats and slippery floor didn't mix! Then lost some more time trying to reset my chain which had jumped off. Bugger!
    Saved the day somewhat with a 36 mins run split - despite that leg only being 9.4k this year.

So a mixture of pleased and disappointed as I'd got my 1.5k swim time down to 26 mins last year but everything has gone backwards since then.
    A long winter on the turbo awaits to try and trim some time off that portion of the race.
    Hopefully, the running can keep improving too!
  • For jasonnawty:

I have no words. I am speechless and full of awe. You are a massive inspiration and it's thanks to you that I have stopped being a pathetic wuss and have signed up fopr my first OD in 2 weeks - South Coast tri.

How can I not succeed when motivated by your achievments??

Can't possibly get a sub 3 hour though!

wow.

blurredgirl
  • Bman wrote:
    Yeah,if you did the westminster route, it was 38km on the bike and the run was only 9.4 km. Surely they can find an extra 600m out there? I suppose we run more that in transition.

I knew it!

My time was 2hrs 31:59 which was a personal best but I was suspicious of the run as my time was 43mins 38 and my previous PB was 45:46 so there was no way I was going to trash that after a bike and a swim!

Perhaps they included the running you had to do during the transitions

Congratulations to one all for completing it and I'm looking forward to next year.

now I have to go and get my climbing legs on as its the Swanage Tri this coming Sunday and the cycle and the run have some killer climbs.

Fred
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I've emailed them querying the sprint distance run... I ran about 2mins 30secs better than my fastest ever 5km on Saturday. Granted I was chasing a mate who I thought was ahead of me (turns out I lapped him), but still... It didn't feel that fast!

Asked them if the distances are independently ratified by BTF and also suggested that some events might be unscrupulous with a view to attracting competitors hoping for a fast event.

Be interested to hear what they come back with... if anything.

Has tainted my result a bit though. Yes I might have run a pb, but I just don't believe it now!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Flavadave, if you check the results page it gives you the actual distances, 750m swim, 21km bike, 5.2km run.