Home Chat General Chat

Spin - actually any good??

With work commitments etc I struggle to get out on the bike more than once a week. In that case is spin a genuinely decent way of adding an extra bike session or two each week?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It depends what you want to get out of it!

If you can get your heart rate up (i.e. get up to your Lactate Threshold), then you can do intervals, LT sessions, as well as recovery type exercises.

It won't be as good as going out for a real bike ride (i.e. you're not working all the muscles, you're not getting used to your real ride position, your not having all the fun of head wind/hills, you're not developing road craft).

But it will be better than nothing!

You need to look at your overall programme, and see if it usefully fits in.

However, you might find that the rowing machine has better bang for the buck, so to speak - as that has CV benefits and some positive cross training effects for run, bike and swim.

Is cycling to work possible? That's a great way of getting some "free" training in...
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Cheers for that Jack.

Im trying to do each discipline at least twice a week with an emphasis on shorter faster sessions in the week and distance at the weekend. I work in central london and to be honest hate the idea of riding to work, though I totally get what your saying as regards to developing bike skills - im sure im losing time in races because of it.

Ive always been into the rowing as it happens and find it much easier to get a decent work out of it (interval and distance) than having to follow an instructor in a spin class - maybe an extra session on this per week.

I just thought it might be useful to get more cycling related exercise into my legs as its the one area I can really skim off some time for my overall. Currently I have difficulty holding what I feel is a decent pace over 40k

Cheers,
    Lex
  • my gym work out last night ..

30mins swim

T1 - ran into the changing room, dripped water everywhere as i quickly changed, switched water bottle for diluted gatorade, into gym and straight onto bike.

30min hill program level 15, HR 130-flats 175-Hills.

T2 - walked to treadmill

30mins on treadmill, flat run at 10.5rpm

T3 - 7min warmdown on the treadmill, back into swim costume and slow walk to sauna.

10min sauna.

in answer to your question (possibly) .. yeah i think it's certainly worthwhile .. but is not in anyway a complete training replacement for the real thing.
  • rpm ?

kph maybe
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I hope so because I do 4 spin sessions a week, together with running twice a week, core conditioning, swimming twice a week, and some generla cycling on weekends. At Londin on the weekend the bike was my strongest leg, and most of that fronm spinning. however, you stil need to get out on the roads to learn bike handling skills, and your body position will differ from spin bike to raod bike, so you'll ave aches etc.

Utilmately, I would prefer to be out on the roads riding, but spinning is generally my only alternative, as time committments don't always allow. As to rowing, just get bored, so no real use to me.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    It would also depend on your instructor...some real muppets out there.
    If you have a specific objective..i.e. a 40 min TT type training goal, let your instructor know that you may not be following all their cues etc & they should not have a problem, some might, but personally so long as I know, then I don't mind...altho' you will have to listen to my music choice as an i-pod/MP3 player is just rude...
    Cheers all, much appreciated.

Its my first season doing races and have only had a bike for last 5-6 months. Looking forward to my first off season of longer rides to get some endurance into the legs with regards to the bike. Right now I cant seem to get down below around 1:15 for the 40k but hopefully it will come.

Cheers!
    Lex
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    [quote] by Jack Hughes » 04 Aug 2009 08:24

It depends what you want to get out of it!

It won't be as good as going out for a real bike ride (i.e. you're not working all the muscles, you're not getting used to your real ride position, your not having all the fun of head wind/hills, you're not developing road craft).

But it will be better than nothing! quote]

Jack - there is nothing worse than a bloody headwind which coincidentally stays with no matter which direction you face. Also lets not forget about the other road obliging users.....
  • chischis Posts: 94
    Given your circumstances Lex I reckon spinning is well worth it. Last summer I had a cruise holiday booked in the weeks almost immediately prior to competing in the GB age group team in the World Chanmps Vancouver. Being on a ship I had no alternative but to get on an exercise bike in order to get some biking in. With a determined effort to build "interval" training into the sessions on the exercise bike rather than just turning the pedals I found that I coped well without actually getting out on to the roads. I ended up coming 4th in Vancouver which exceeded my expectations - hence give a go Lex I am sure it can't do any harm and will probably be of great benefit.
    Chis,

Cheers mate and well done for your results.

I think its something that im defo going to add at least once a week but also i really need to make the effort to get out on the bike more than once a week. My swimming has come on to the point where its no longer a handicap to my overall time so it would be good to add some pace to bike.