Home Chat General Chat

Tri training and weight loss

2»

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Rubbsh. All do is eat lettce all the tme and never lose weght.

Hang on! Schhlllurrrrppp-Plonk!

My "i" key was non-functional.. there was a large crumb of delicious Belgian chocolate and black cherry muffin that I purchased from Anthony's swanky new venture in Leeds this lunch time wedged in it. Just to see what it was like, of course.
  • you are what you are.

As a great example, has anyone put a photo of Chrissie Wellington next to one of world beater Jodie Swallow? Both world class athletes that none of us could hope to emulate or even consider the training regime they undergo. They'll both have rigourous nutrition regimes.

But in the nicest possible way of putting it one is dead skinny and one is (erm, considers carefully the next bit) slightly more fuller figured than the other.

Do what you do, eat what you eat, what comes out is who you are!

Right?
  • danny_s wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Jesster

@ coma, he of the kettlebell/warrior diet malarkey.

I don't particularly care what you say! [:D]

I agree with coma completely. It should say "you are what shape you are until you care enough to change it."

Thats exactly it.

and hey my huge bells and warrior diet have had a marked effect on all my sports and personal fitness!

Edit - No dangermouse, you can look how you want :P

• BexHBexH Posts: 226

[/quote]

I agree with coma completely. It should say "you are what shape you are until you care enough to change it."

[/quote]

I really disagree with this- as the comment below about Chrissie v Jodie Swallow emphasises perfectly I think particularly for women you have a genetic body size. That isn't to say that you can improve on it with some hard work but there will always be people who can stuff their faces and remain stick thin and then there will be those who can try their utmost and will still struggle to get below a certain size. For example someone born with FF boobs is likely to be heavier than someone born with B cup boobs but neither can help the way they blossomed! I could go anorexic and my hips would still be big because my bone structure is that way and I will never change that. But hey I'm happy with it and i know I work hard at it all so why worry?!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    RIGHT! excellent examples, dangermouse. Wellington and Swallow-both incredible athletes, totally different shapes.

We can make ourselves the very best we can be but not change everything nature has given us. I dont believe in the 'big boned' theory, as x-rays really don't differ that much size wise across the entire human population, HOWEVER my hands are like SHOVELS compared to my size six friends hands, and this is really not a place where one carries fat, is it?

• BexH wrote:
    For example someone born with FF boobs is likely to be heavier than someone born with B cup boobs but neither can help the way they blossomed!

I dont think i have known anyone born with FF's:P thatd be some labour that!

Happyness is whats most important i guess . . .

My advice still stands though, if you got the time to do the research and go to all the trouble, you can achieve what you want to...Or like me you can just try everything

• SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Definitely agree with you Jesster.

For over a decade I was 10.5 stone, at 6 ft. I ate terribly, did zero exercise, drank profusely and smoked. My weight never budged by more than a few pounds. That was just my natural weight. It's only with the passing of a few more years and since I started exercising that it's gone up to 12 stone.

Certainly for people who are very over weight drastic changes can be made but once you go down to a certain "natural" weight to push it down further becomes unhealthy for that individual.

I think we should focus less on absolute measures of weight and consider measures of quality of life. If someone is fit, healthy and happy then who cares if they weigh a bit more than some magic number.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    When I was young, around the turn of the century, I looked my best when I dieted down to 8st 10lbs but it was impossible for me to hold without starving myself! My body settled comfortably at 9st 4lbs, regardless of what I ate and at that time I didn't do any exercise. My whole family are between very slim and very skinny, I am the only heffalump and that seemed to occur due to a variety of incidents in my life; When I was 17 I was 7 stone and in that year ws rushed into hospital with suspected appendicitis. They removed the appendix (even tho that wasn't the problem) and when I recoverd from the op my weight stablised at 7.5 stone, which I was chuffed about. Then the following year following a Spanish holiday I got salmonella. My weight went down to 6.5 stone and when it stabilised again I was 8 st 4lbs. The following year my horse reared up and fell over backwards on top of my and broke my back. By the time I could walk properly again, some three months later my weight had settled at 9st 4lbs which I wasn't so happy with! Dieting made very little difference and so I settled with that. I then had children and my weight has never stabilised yet!!!

You are what you are to a large degree as Jess says. Exercise will tone you up and burn a LITTLE fat but can never really make a massive difference, especially as you get fitter because your body becomes more efficient and therefore burns less calories for the same effort. When I first started running a 5k run (with plenty of walk breaks) would burn 450 cals according to my HRM. The same run now burns 185 cals. So exercise as a means of losing weight is a self defeating exercise!

At the end of the day, if you are inclined to overweight, ITS WHAT GOES IN YOUR MOUTH THAT COUNTS!!!
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    dangermouse wrote:

you are what you are.

As a great example, has anyone put a photo of Chrissie Wellington next to one of world beater Jodie Swallow? Both world class athletes that none of us could hope to emulate or even consider the training regime they undergo. They'll both have rigourous nutrition regimes.

But in the nicest possible way of putting it one is dead skinny and one is (erm, considers carefully the next bit) slightly more fuller figured than the other.

And both of them are bl**dy good triathletes, champions and yep jodie is proof that you dont have to be a skinnyminny to do well, she is strong and athletic and a bl**dy nice person too! she even emailed me when I needed help with my first tri, bless her! We need more birds like her, ones that arent beanpoles!

All have you have said so much good stuff and I have read all the posts, some of em made me p*ss meself, but most of which has been great feedback and advice, I do accept who I am, I am fit and I love a challenge, I dont sit on me arse all day eating cake, I know what goes in and how much effort I "put out" and I am happy with that! [:D]

now where's that Anthonys swanky new venture in Leeds place, anyone want a belgian choc muffin, I am buyin'!!! [;)]

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Once again : Energy in (food calories) must be less than Energy out (training calories)

and don't drink alcoholic drinks, otherwise you're just fooling yourself ... but not the scales!

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Drink alcoholic drinks if you want to, I do and love it. I also love training & racing and know deep down that if I lived like a monk (ok, they drink like troopers in Belgium & Germany but you know what I mean!) I could drop a few pounds and get even faster. But I also have a life. It's called balance.

c'mon Treefrog: a year or so back you advised people here to cut out ALL fat. Nonsense.

I hate the "how much did you lose this week" thread. Nobody should judge progress on 1 week. The difference between your weight in January and your weight during racing season should probably differ by a bit but avoid both excesses for a balanced and sane life. Let yourself go a little and reign yourself in a little while keeping fit most of the time.

I admit I keep an eye on my weight and love the 3 months a year when I'm 2-3kg lighter than at Christmas, and yes I do look at it regularly. But you know what? I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks and this morning I felt like I was flying when I was running. If I was really weight conscious I'd only be letting myself in for disappointment if I hadn't lost weight though I felt great. I feel great so the scales can go fcuk themselves.

That's the reply of a fat boy!

You're quite right if you live like a monk you'll get results therefore if you want results badly enough then ...you'll live like a monk

If you don't REALLY want results then don't live like a monk, but don't go on about this "balance" thing when what you mean is I don't want results/improvement enough to make the neccessary sacrifices.

I lived like a monk for 10 years and got as highas I could in my sport, although I failed to make the Olympics and life was not balanced but I got great results and it was worth it!

I say to any young aspirant "go for it", put your balls on the line, forget about the grey safety of the work-life balance, make the sacrifices and at worst you'll never have to say "what if " or "if only " when you are 50 or worse 40, as some on this forum seem to be!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    if you live like a monk you'll get results

Hmmm. Interesting.

Well, the hair is certainly going in the right direction. And I'm sure I'll soon have the body of Friar Tuck! Especially if the missus' baking business takes off. Ooh, she made some fabulous muffins last night. So, double muffins for me!

I'm just off to matins.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    It's true that to achieve world beating results in any field you've got to make sacrifices in other areas of your life but for me I'm never going to be brilliant at triathlon - as long as I'm enjoying and challenging myself and breaking PBs then that is what matters to me. I have to concentrate on what I'm really good at which is my job where I am performing at an internationally significant level so, at the moment, if there are sacrifices to be made then that comes first.

That's not to say that I'm not determined to lose the extra 10 kg I'm lugging around - it's just a question of kicking the giant coffee and cake habit!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I think what I was trying (and failing [;)]) to say was that for me and I suspect lots of people it is about balance - trying to be the best we can within the constraints of the other things in our lives. Still being able to go out and have a celebratory pint without obsessing about it has to be a good thing. Mostly people can't afford the time/money to give their all, as much as they would like to.

The training helps me to function better in other parts of my life, I work better for it and I'm much nicer to be around but not if I become neurotic about it.

Of course if I get made redundant all "balance" goes out the window and it's obsession all the way and Ironman 70.3 here I come!
  • treefrog wrote:
    That's the reply of a fat boy!

Haha, I think the fat supremacist movement have defeated us mate ....viva la resistance!!

And alcohol has been linked to fat, and man boobs. I can vouch for it, i didnt have man boobs til i came back from Munich....in Munich is seen some DD's on a man.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Whilst I agree with what treefrog is saying, the chances are that i will not be fast strong or fit enough to reach the top of my agr group let alone become elite (although I can dream) for me tri is a hobby, and whilst it consumes most of my social life I will fight tooth and nail to keep that last bit. There wowuld be nothing worse for me, that to give up everything else and find that the fun has gone from my life. Just a thought

• md6 wrote:

Whilst I agree with what treefrog is saying, the chances are that i will not be fast strong or fit enough to reach the top of my agr group let alone become elite (although I can dream) for me tri is a hobby, and whilst it consumes most of my social life I will fight tooth and nail to keep that last bit. There wowuld be nothing worse for me, that to give up everything else and find that the fun has gone from my life. Just a thought

Its a very good point md6, again its cost/benefit.

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    at worst you'll never have to say "what if " or "if only " when you are 50 or worse 40, as some on this forum seem to be!

There are plenty of 50's and 'worse still 40's'- myself included who are having a lot of fun without whinging that they wished they'd knuckled down and lived like a monk and achieved great results!

Yes, I agree that you have to make sacrifices to get to the top. But what about those that make all those sacrifices and work their guts out to the exclusion of all else and DON'T quite make it big? Perhaps they would be the one's to look back and think 'if only......... I had a life too!'

Undoubtedly you are good at what you do, that's your choice, but 'balance' is a feature in most peoples life, and how many talented young athletes dropped out of what could have been a very promising career because they were pushed too hard too young?

Fun comes at all levels; us fat peoples' moans are in jest only, we all make our own choices, but all in the spirit of the game and not the competition
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    i'm with you md6...i LOVE triathlon....i'm never going to wow anyone, become elite or very good (compared to others) but i want to achieve my best and training and watching what i eat is part of that....i still enjoy my social life...and like to do other things apart from tri sometimes...and still love eating ben & jerry's icecream on the odd occasion...[;)]

I'm going travelling for 6 months from sept and yes i've even tried to think how i'm going to incorporate training whilst away so i don't have too much catch up when i get back...but i would never consider giving up the travels or social bits just so i can continue the training....but as MD6 says..its my hobby...obsessive that it is....

ok rant over.... [:D]
    At the moment I work very hard and train very hard - that's why I have ben away for a while and in my absence the "its the taking part that counts" brigade have been getting away with too much!

• treefrog wrote:

At the moment I work very hard and train very hard - that's why I have ben away for a while and in my absence the "its the taking part that counts" brigade have been getting away with too much!

I love you, man.