Home Chat General Chat

BBC Tri coverage

2»

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    silverback: "Anyone of us who was to speak continually for an hour and forty are bound to say something wrong/inane"

Indeed... but the cringe-worthiness wasn't because of an occasional inanity (although Michelle Dillon with her "but ... er.. um... yeah... and ... um... yeah" was ridiculous) but their complete lack of knowledge of what is really very basic stuff wrt triathlon tactics and draft-legal bike racing.

didds
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Did anyone see the replay of the two guys going for their extra lap. It looked like the dismount wasn't flagged by the marshals like it was for the main group. The 2nd guy was certainly expecting to stop because he had his feet on the shoes.

I know you should know the course etc. but isn't there a bit of 'play to the whistle' as well. Wondered if there had been any kind of complaint lodged.

Ade
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I went down to watch it, and by the sounds of the accounts given above it was a better option that watching it on the beeb.

Got a great view for all the disciplines - stood at the side of the lake to watch the swim, got a sweet spot right next to T1 to watch Brownlee & Gomez come flying through, and same for T2 & the run. The course must have been pretty boring for them with all the laps, but for me as a spectator it was better than I was expecting. Brownlee was awesome.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I may be wrong here as i was watching it recorded at about 1am but did i here a bell as the two riders out front went out for another lap?? No flags and a bell you'd be pretty pee'd off!

They should be able to count though!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I dunno about a bell and I've deleted it now so can't go back and check, but there was definitely no flag waving as they came through; when the main peloton arrived there was pretty frantic semaphore, and when they got to the exit end of transition there was a marshall with a big board that said "1" on it.

I think most of the responsibility lies with the riders to keep count, and did they not have cycle computers with a timer on? But there was clearly some very bad marshalling too.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    i went down and watched it live - really enjoyed it. those guys can really shift on the bikes...not to mention the run...or the swim. in fact i was so inspired i went and blew a wad on a pair of newtons (they had a stall there) so it was a pretty expensive event to attend.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Met up with Gingertri to watch the men's race. The two chaps who went through for a 9th bike leg should have known better, but it didn't help that the marshall with the lap board was still holding up 2 laps to go instead if 1 (She hadn't turned the board around). The look of panic on her face and the chap with the bell when they realised.. Oopsy.....

Great atmosphere down there though, and a good race in the end.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Extra lap?
    Here's your culprit!
    [attachment=0:20m0qv5g]Picture 5.png[/attachment:20m0qv5g]
    I saw them filming her walking away looking rather sheepish... useless commentators didn't say anything about it though.
    and she should def be able to count to 8!!