Home Chat General Chat

cycling helmet advice

hey all

any advice on which to buy? never had one, aint a clue about them and there are so many out there, would a cheap one do for my first one?

I have found loads on wiggle and need to get one asap..

any advice?

thanks

Shell

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Meakie,

If you've got £40 I can recommend the Specialized Echelon. You might be able to get it two or three quid cheaper on some sites.

It's light, comfy, easily adjustable and has had great reviews.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    To slightly mis-quote my Advanced Motorcycling instructor from many years ago (regarding crash helmets, but I think it is valid): "Buy whichever one fits properly and costs twice as much as you intended to spend."

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I second Bopomofo's post, I tend to find helmet sizing differs from company to company so the fit is the most important part. It may be beneficial to go to a local store to try them on. By all means then go onto the web to buy, but at least you will know 1. It will fit 2. Be comfortable and 3. It will do its intended job if it is needed

Jamie
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Do try some on if you get the chance. Some of the ones I tried just looked really odd on me. And if you don't get on with your helmet, or think it doesn't look nice (it's all relative!) on you, then you won't wear it while training; and a helmet that's in the cupboard is no use at all if you come off your bike.

I've got a Giro. Cost about £60-£70 I think; really comfy, well ventilated, and I can just put it on and forget about it. Certainly a brand that I'd recommend if you have a few more pennies available.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    As they say above trying before buying is the only way!

I would look for one that fits your head shape and not one that looks the best. When it comes down to fashion and safety its safety all the way. Still with that said Giro make some good looking hekmets. I cant believe I actually typed that in (good looking helmets) I look like a right helmet in what ever one I buy!

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I have a Giro Atmos, cant get my head into an aero helmet, just as well as you look like a tit wearing one!!

Whatever fits your head best and offers reasonable ventelation and protection. Spend as much as you can afford then add £20 more on top!!!