Home Chat General Chat

miles or kms?

ok mind drifting away from work today.....so what do people 'think' 'train' and 'talk' in... miles or kms?...
I find if i am running a 10km then i love to see 1km to go rather than 1mile....however if i am flying on the bike i still like to see mph as my speed.....but then find my self telling folks about how far the distances are in km...(sure because it sounds further) ...no point to this... just random nonsense...

Comments

• huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I use km, metres, kg, and erm mph
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    i've embraced the metric world - kms, kph etc
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I use metric, it bugs me when doing work if people have quoted things in non-standard units (i.e. imperial) and this has rolled over into everyday life. Although I often have to convert it to imperial for people when I get a bemused look, I can think in both quite happily.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I unfortunately use both interchangably, particularly when training, I run miles, pace in miles, bike KM but pace it in mph, swim in KM (when i go that far), I measure things in meters, and inches...that is what happens when you were born in the early 80's and had parents who refused to convert anything from inches
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I think this whole imperial system is a crock. Probably explains why Im always speeding when I drive. My mind works in kph.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Imperial
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Well, I'm 1m72 tall, I weigh 65 kg, I cyle in miles but I run in km...
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Being somewhat more advanced in years than some of the contributors I was brought up on Imperial - metric is by far a better system and that's what I work on. Confuses the hell out me when people talk about pacing say in running and say 'oh so that's a '6 minute 50 mile' and are then met with a blank stare from me.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I have just about switched to SI units. It is really weird as when looking at the bike speed, and means nothing to me. I only know 16,25,32,40 and 48 kph. I.e. 16 is about 10mpg, 25 is about 15mph, 32 is 20mph, 40 is 25, and 48 is 30mph.
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    km always ....i am european, grew up with metric
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I'm a mixed bag too. Think of running distances in km but am used to pace being expressed in minutes per mile as that 's what people in my running club talk in.

For the bike I think of distance and and speed in miles.

For the swim it's distance in metres or LWDs (Lengths Without Drowning)
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    all metric
  • Jack Hughes wrote:
    I have just about switched to SI units.
    yea me to, I often go outside an comment that it is a good 300 Kelvin outside (27 C to normal people)! Why not just say metric like everyone else!!
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Metric-I prefer the sound of 12kmph rather than 7.5mph-sorry 7 1/2 mph
    Bring on the pain wrote:
    [quote="Jack Hughes":2gqd6qmk]I have just about switched to SI units.
    yea me to, I often go outside an comment that it is a good 300 Kelvin outside (27 C to normal people)! Why not just say metric like everyone else!![/quote:2gqd6qmk]

Style, sweetie. Metric just seems so passé. It does mean that I have had to give up drinking as I am struggling to work out how to order a pint of beer in millimoles.
  • Fairly witty response!

568ml just for reference! (well just over!)
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Swizzlenap -
    LWDs (Lengths Without Drowning)
    - should be adopted forthwith as an official Triathlon unit of measure
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    Another child of the seventies. I use both on a fairly random basis. It depends mostly on what those around me are using.

I've recently taken to mixing things up a bit. I now give my height as 6 5. That is of course 6 feet and 5 centimetres .
    Zacnici wrote:
    Swizzlenap -
    LWDs (Lengths Without Drowning)
    - should be adopted forthwith as an official Triathlon unit of measure
    I'm still on SBD (Strokes Before Drowning)