Home Chat General Chat

Cold like symptoms after swim

Had a catch up video analysis with swimfortri yesterday (excellent by the way, really very useful).

Pushed myself a bit, tried out a few things, altered my head position a little which resulted in few nosefuls of water at various points. After the session I was very bunged up and got very little sleep last night as sinuses completely blocked. Today, still feel all bunged up...

Anyone else had the same? Is it just a coincidence i.e. I'm getting a cold, or has the nosefuls of water got something to do with it?

Comments

• deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    Dave

Will let you know tomorrow as I had initial consultation with them today. Out of interest, how often have you been to them (once a week? month?). I am trying to decide what package to go for. Were you coached by Ray? Top bloke
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Yeah coached by Ray, as you say a top bloke!

Initially did a weekend course November last year, then did a twelve week technique course over with SFT at market sports (pool based) earlier this year.

First video catch up I've had, but comparing the footage from my first effort I'm very pleased with my stroke improvement. Gave me some great pointers and things to work on but didn't want to tinker around too much until I've finished all my races (first OD next month), in case I go backwards.

Reckons I've got the classic slow stroke though from refining the technique, so need to inject a bit of oomph into things, increasing from 44 spm to 60 ideally.

Reckon I might get a block of 5 half hours to see me through the winter training (use one a month) along with a weekly fitness class over at market sports. Really hoping to make big progress after the season has finished.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    did you use noseclips?

Chlorine can trigger off cold like runny nose symptoms. Most folks get it, some don't.

Best way round it is nose clips.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    I get this everytime i go to local pool..not going down the noseclip front because i am working on continuous exhale through nose (got a TI instructor)...never sleep monday/friday nite due to blocked sinus...have heard folks talk about Beconase (hay fever spray) to help...but another guy who has hay fever said it can have side affects...at the moment just getting thru it until next sprint...then will experiment through the winter with different pools/sprays etc...
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    i used to get the same, and then used a nose cone! its just inflamed sinuses, and is generally the water not just the chlorine (more rare i think - could be a myth though!). I got a nose and struggled initially but now my breathing is a lot better when i race without a nose clip!
  • Doc ScoDoc Sco Posts: 38
    Hi Flavadave

I get the bunged up-cold -like symptoms everytime I swim unless I use a noseclip, not the most attractive look I have but it does the job! BTW Im really interested in the video analysis you mention, where in the country are you? Ive been looking for similar in and around where I live (Cambridge) with no success. Has it helped? I really need some expert swim coaching, if anyone can recommend in my area I would be grateful.

Think like a bumble bee
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    thanks for your replies everyone. Guess its a case of like it or lump it.

Might give the nose clip a go, I already arrive at work with marks on my forehead from my cycle helmet and circles round my eyes from my goggles... what the hell, lets throw a some marks on my nose in as well!

Cheers
    fd
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i get those symptoms almost everytime i swim for a couple of hours after, so i guess it must be pretty common
    i do not wear noseclip either because i like to be able to exhale through the nose
    ray is really good indeed i had a session with him too and one with dawn who is also amazing i think actually the whole sft are very skilled coaches as i have trained with them in open water sessions too
    the video thing is really usefull had 2 sessions so far in the past 6 months and i think i am well due for another - i think the frequency yo udo them is pretty much relative to your deadlines (ie races etc) and your goals
    i find that one every couple of months is useful as then i have that time to work on the what i need to correct with drills etc
    docsco i think sft operate mainly in the greater london area but i might be wrong.. check their site out...i do not know of any other similar i'm afraid...
  • Doc ScoDoc Sco Posts: 38
    Thanks sporteve, I received an email from flavadave giving all the details, Ive looked at website and am going to give it a go - its great to have recommendations for places like this!

Ta
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I had a cat with tguy's and gals at my local poll about this samething abouta year ago a answer is to do with the chemicas use.
    Poos use o use liquid clorne and it wordell butwas a b harsh on soe peoples skin. notey use poea eieffects are cold symptons.
    Shoud only last an evening or so.