Home Chat General Chat

Middle/Long Distance - Transitions

I am undertaking my first HIM distance next week and i'm still debating whether to do it all in my tri-suit or change into bike gear and run gear at each transition.

I've read a lot of threads on here from people saying they fully change at each transition, but how without getting fully naked?? Or do people wrap themselves in towels, which seems a bit awkward to me. Or are there changing tents at the longer events??

What do people do - Any advice greatly received

BTW the race i'm doing is the Little Woody if that helps

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I am still undecided on the "getting changed thing" I think I shall attempt to do it all in my trisuit.

There will be a changing tent for those wishing to get fully changed.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    If your tri suit is comfortable then stick with it - no reason to change for the sake of it. I guess you could always pop some extra kit in just in case you find the suit tricky long distance - probably just pop some small non padded biking undies on underneath I guess to make a change easy.
  • Why didnt you attempt a long ride in your trisuit? That way you would know what to wear instead of asking a forum who have no idea what YOUR levels of comfort are..........

If you aint trained with it dont race with it.......................
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    Many apologies Firestarter Sir - i wont bother the forum with any of my petty worrys again!!

For what its worth i've decided to give it a go in my tri-suit (something i have tried in training) with a cycle top for carrying food/gels etc...
  • mkamka Posts: 26
    IronABS

I've done 2 HIM events and wore a trisuit then put on a cycle top for the bike then took that off for the run, guess it just depends on the weather that day. For the first one it was cold~ish on the bike so wanted something a bit warmer than a wet trisuit, but then by the end it was geting pretty warm so removed it for the run. To carry gels etc for the bike i used a top tube bag and the run I stuffed them in the trisuit pocket.

In any case enjoy & have a great race!
  • I'm doing the LW too. I'm unsure as to what to do..

I'm thinking of my Trisuit, and depends on the weather, adding my tri shorts and cycling jersey for the cycle, then my running shorts for the run...

and I'm willing to take the chance of getting it wrong!!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    T1 - Wetsuit off, helmet on, glasses on, socks on, grab bike and Go
    T2 - Rack bike, Helmet off, run shoes on, grab running cap and Go

Minimal time. All that hard work you have just put into the bike overtaking them last few people is wasted by doing a full change, and anyway how do you propose to take your suit off and wear cycling gear then the same in T2 changing to running gear without getting near enough naked??? A big fat DQ awaits if you do that. Do it all in your trisuit.... or if there isnt enough padding in that, wear your cycling shorts under your wetsuit, pop a cycling top on in T1 and cycle and run in that instead.

Trisuit is best though and you shouldnt have a problem with comfort on the bike. I have done Long distance just using a tri suit with next to no pad, in fact I think it was only an extra piece of cloth.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    My transitions at Weymouth 70.3 were almost exactly like my Sprint transitions... except I put my cycling gloves on in T1 and in T2 I had to stretch my back a bit. I also paused to shove a large handful of vaseline down my shorts and a small slice of Soreen down my pie-hole.
    But yeah... no time to muck about getting changed.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Agree with Husser and Bopo - i did my first HIM this year and transistions were as sprint and Olympic. Wear a tri suit and you'll be fine.

One thing is sun cream - if its hot have some in transition for a top up - i got burnt to a crisp!

G
  • be a man and go for the speedos and singlet combo. seriously, i opted for a two peice shorts and top combo as i had gotten caught out at a toilet stop before ie getting in and out of a one peice in a portacrapper with full on cramp in both legs. histerical.