Home Chat General Chat

Race Report - Nottingham Tri 23 August

ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
Well I've never done a race report but I bloody enjoyed this event!

Because of the numbers the men’s start was in 2 waves, the young and fit i.e. Juniors and Seniors in wave 1 and 2 minutes later the Vets in wave 2

Those who may have seen my postings on the subject know the swim is my weakest discipline, in my first 2 OW events I emerged half drowned after 20 minutes, my third (at the 2008 Nottingham Tri) I was mightily pleased to emerge lungs empty of water after 17:43 and this year the Sth Cerney was feeling good after completing in 17:15. I was hoping that I might just about crack 17mins and plonked myself at the back where I would cause minimal disruption to everyone else. Within a few hundred metres I had not only started to pass other Vets but also start to pick off some of the first wave. Emerged from the water feeling excellent in 15:30! Must be down the the Seal goggles that Jesster gave me – mwaa – kisses to you. Trotted up to the timing mat in 16:05! OK I know this is a mediocre time but I was so fired up (post race realised that if I had positioned myself better I would have achieved a sub 16 time).

T1 - slow as ever, this I really need to work on not helped by being racked up at the far end and having to run/slither my way through bikes being unracked and muddy deposits underfoot - excuses over I am too slow on T1 - need to improve.

Bike - whoohoo. What a ride, loved it. Holme Pierrepont is a water sports centre and the bike is 4 laps of the rectangular 2000m regatta lake. My Focus Izalco performed flawlessly, I was overtaking Vets and Wave 1 on the home straight, keeping up with the road bikes at the turns and even managed to overtake when battling against a stiff headwind - that was a sod - the windsock was horizontal! Purely by chance every time I went past the grandstand I was overtaking someone not because anyone was cheering me on but simply the atmosphere is electric and made me put that extra bit in. It was also gratifying that the only ones who overtook me were ones that should have done i.e. younger guys on half decent bikes. Completed in 38:12, again nothing to shout about, about midfield, about 1:30 or so slower than last year - that wind - blimey!

T2 - again another long trot of about 100m before I could rack.

Off on the run, my strongest discipline, we set off in the opposite direction of the bike circuit, part of it being cross country. Again I was picking away at places and even pulled back on a couple of Seniors that I knew were in the Forces so pretty chuffed with that. I was only overtaken 3 times and completed in 23:37 which was about 1:30 faster than last year.

Total time 1:21:06 - 1 minute faster than last year - shame about the wind - but what a battle it made of it. Came 161 out of 314 finishers 43 places higher than last year and 45 in Vet category out of 92 finishers

OK I will now go away – but I just had to share my feelings – what a buzz – I just love this sport. – Oh yes and because the Women’s event started 2 hours later I watched my first ever triathlon! Well done girls I enjoyed it.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Well done. Great result, and fantastic story.

I loved hearing about your improvements - it's particularly pleasing that you are shaking that fist at old father time in defiance! Getting better as you get old. Great stuff. Inspiring swim too!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Thanks Jack.

Forgot to add I am really impressed by the way that some blokes I know with health problems still tough it out and get thunderous cheers from the crowds. It seems to me that the last man (or woman) in gets the biggest cheer, that's why this sport is so great.

Also - Pacesetters Events, well done to Ian Hamilton and the gang, as ever a fantastic event - thank you.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Nice one Zacnici, bet you were really pleased with your improvements - when's the next one?
    Yes thanks Joolzd

Absolutely amazed to be honest - the event was just one rush and I can definitely say it was the best event I have done so far. I must say I have now developed a taste for OW based events.

Next one is Brigg on 27 September, I've not done this one before but it sounds fun and they are a very enthusiastic club so thought I would give them a bit of support.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Zacnici wrote:

Next one is Brigg on 27 September, I've not done this one before but it sounds fun and they are a very enthusiastic club so thought I would give them a bit of support.
    Great report,Brigg is just down the road for us so I think a morning watching you might be in order.Apparently the event has about 80% first time racers in it so I expect at least a top ten finish.
  • Hi I also completed Nottingham and found it a great event. But if anyone from Pacesetter looks at this please could you put out the drinks station on the run in a better place? I was really struggling as the bike was REALLY windy for the ladies race and by the time I hit the run I needed water - despite drinking on the bike. The only water station was about 800m from the end of the run...it was really hot as I was running at midday and found myself contemplating jumping into the lake to cool down (and unstick my tongue) - a glass of water to drink and one to douse in would have made the experience a whole lot better.

Next time I will be taking water as well as sports drink on the bike and will be better hydrated! Most of this was my own fault but it was annoying that the previous day there were two drinks stations but for the individual event only one....in a bad place....

Wow I am grumpy - I wanted to go fast but the wind and heat didn't help

still would do again as the grandstand setting is good and spectators get an idea of what is going on....
    Hats off to the ladies in the Nottingham Tri, I am convinced the wind got stronger for your event.

As for the drinks, I did hear a few people comment about it. Last year they had a station on the far straight just as you came off the x country section. It didn't affect me as I carry a small 200ml bottle that I take one sip out of every 1km, I also use it on my 10K (running) events, a little quirk of mine, I'm sure its psychological but it works for me.

John.E - top 10!!!! errr....some talented first timers out there! I'll be wearing my forum T shirt anyway and also be the bloke walking around with the Street Fighting Shark drink bottle
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Ok Shark,T shirt,Bloke ,Bottle,I'll try to find you.The bike routes pretty flat just don't get your wheels stuck in the tracks at the level crossing!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for that John.E I'll put the extra wide tractor tyres on!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    good reports! and well done! zacnici, i thought you'd done loads of tris - it was your bike knowledge!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Great race report & results
    Thanks, GCB & Gingertri

I am still learning on the bike - indeed all aspects - just do a lot (too much?) research on the interweb etc - my thoughts are to train and race clever as well as hard.

Thoughts appreciated, thanks.