Home Chat General Chat

is there only one bike shop in the uk ?

2»

Comments

• The Big Adventure Store in Swindon http://www.thebigadventurestore.co.uk/

They are fantastic - very friendly, very helpful. I have bought all sorts of tri kit from them including my wetsuit which fits perfectly.

On a bike perspective Jason, their mechanic, is top notch- he just built me two new bikes. One was a simple strip all the components and put on a new frame and the other was a build from scratch (with components I had supplied). Both were done quickly and the fit was almost perfect from the start. On top of that as a regular customer I nearly always get a good deal (and no-one complains that I bring in my own components (sourced from ebay) rather than buy through them).

Great guys - use them if you are local.

I.
  • I too can vouch for Pearsons in Sutton.

www.pearsoncycles.co.uk

Been a family business since 1860!!!!!!!!!

Guy and William are good blokes and as experienced cyclists themselves they know a think or 2 about all things 2 wheeled.

As big testament for me is the fact that you always see Pearsons kit being worn all over the home counties.

If you go, make sure you go out the back where all the bling is.... great workshop too.
  • Its good to hear people praising good service and singing their song, like others have said, good service is far and few between these days, so the shops that DO give deserve to be promoted.

Looking over the forum, I have seen lots of positive comments about Bridgtown, and I usually only go on recommendation, and would love to meet and put my business the way of this guy. Sadly though, living in Cambridge, having kids, working in London, doing 10 Triathlons a year, training the list goes on I just don’t have 5 minutes to piddle these days so he is just a little too far for me.

It’s great to see other recommendations from other forum members, and for me, this has been a very constructive thread, as so many are.

Md6, do you have a phone number for The Cycle doctor in Canary Wharf? If he does bike fitting that would be very handy for me. Thanks for the tip.

Jimmy.
  • Hi Jimmy, Kevin (cycle doctor at CW) did me a bike fit a couple of months ago and has made all the difference - he is a very knowledgeable guy about bikes and races and a sole trader, so call before you go as sometimes he pops out to get a coffee! 020 7987 3310.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    jimmyBell wrote:
    Its good to hear people praising good service and singing their song, like others have said, good service is far and few between these days, so the shops that DO give deserve to be promoted.

Looking over the forum, I have seen lots of positive comments about Bridgtown, and I usually only go on recommendation, and would love to meet and put my business the way of this guy. Sadly though, living in Cambridge, having kids, working in London, doing 10 Triathlons a year, training the list goes on I just don’t have 5 minutes to piddle these days so he is just a little too far for me.

It’s great to see other recommendations from other forum members, and for me, this has been a very constructive thread, as so many are.

Md6, do you have a phone number for The Cycle doctor in Canary Wharf? If he does bike fitting that would be very handy for me. Thanks for the tip.

Jimmy.
    Jimmy it is: 0207 987 3310. I'm pretty sure he does fittings and what not - when you're there have a look at all the bling bikes in the side rooms - he has a really nice Orbea build up of the wall in the main room when i was there last too. It can be a tad difficlut to find if you don't know the area - its in the cannon workshops near the wetherspoons at west india quay
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I really wish I drove, so I could go see Mike @ B...but I don't so other than maybe calling him sometime I'll never benefit.

In terms of other shops, I was pleasantly surprised by the service at Dales in Glasgow, I took a rear wheel in as I was looking to replace the freehub, however it was an old Specialized trispoke so can't get the relevant part anymore. However we spent a good half hour chatting about the freehub, and cassette, and I ended up getting the existing freehub cleaned, re-and regreased, along with a new spacer for the cassette, total cost was a tenner, which isn't too bad. No idea about the sales side though, I'm sure I heard bad stuff about them years back?
  • Thanks md6 & notmuchfurther... Im going to get my holiday out of the way and give him a call. Bike bling!??! God, I dont need the temptation!!!!

Cheers again guys.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    good to see this thread getting back on track.

I think the problem is the way your treated. Look at Tesser, goes into a bike shop and isn't talked into buying something he doesn't need. Thats the way it should be.
    I sometimes go to Walkers Cycles near Kilmarnock and find them very helpful. However, the stock list of bikes they had wasn't what I was looking for.

Now that I've bought a new bike from eslewhere, I'm sceptical that they'll want to help me as I always said I'd go back there. The issue for me is that I got a good service from Btown and got fitted for the bike and after seeing what happens I now realise the old bike doesn't fit me so I'm apprehensive about going back to walkers.

I had a look to see if there was a specific triathlon bike shop in Scotland, there used to be one in Edinburgh but I believe it was taken over and then closed so pehaps the issue for me is finding someone who knows what is relevant to triatheletes. If you can find that at your LBS then superb, unfort I couldn't.

I championed the LBS a while back, as I remember going and they reindexed my gears on the old stead and trued my wheels up - cost = NIL. Brilliant. So I think it comes down to what the shop can give you in terms of your needs.
  • Cant recommend Rock 'N' Road in Southampton enough great people and really know what they are talking about.
  • I bought my bike from the Tri Centre in Edinburgh and was very pleased with the service I received. No-one patronised me, I was given a bike fitting that should have cost £30 but as I bought a bike from them that was waived. I'll definately be returning to them!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Ok,the following is not in the the UK but anyone doing IMCH and finds that their bike is not in the same shape after the airport baggage handlers have used it as a trampoline try here,as most things in Switzerland are expensive it wasn't free but I couldn't fault the service,just check the opening times,if you can't get your bike sorted at the expo.
    http://www.veloatelier.ch/
  • I had a look to see if there was a specific triathlon bike shop in Scotland, there used to be one in Edinburgh but I believe it was taken over and then closed so pehaps the issue for me is finding someone who knows what is relevant to triatheletes. If you can find that at your LBS then superb, unfort I couldn't.
    This is probaby the Tri centre also mentioned above... I think you are right it may have changed hands (I think it is now called Bike workshop or some such) but it is still there... I popped in to buy a spare bento box the other week (was up visiting my sister). I only had a quick browse but I got the impression they still have a tri focus since lots of bling TT bikes on show.

My comments on service are several years old now but they were great when I first started thinking about a road bike... eventually I didn't buy from them because they were well over my budet but definately very helpful and would be my first port of call if I were still in Scotland.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    "I now realise the old bike doesn't fit me so I'm apprehensive about going back to walkers"

How DO alleged "experts"in bike shops get this wrong? I have had exactly the same issue with my first bike in my LBS... not only did I subsequently learn (having taken the bloke's advice because I was dead knew to it all) that the bike I was advised on and sold was too large for me I then found that it was for somebody 3 inches taller than me.

having now bought a decently fitting bike I can hardly ride my old one... it now feels WAY too large.

So how come the "pros" get ti so wrong/ is it that they think they are the only shop in town so you won;t have any options?

didds
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    I've had good service over the years from Ride in Coventry .

• i highly recommend berkshire cycles in crowthorne.

what they lack in deep technical knowledge, they definately make up for in uber-customer service...if you're hm forces and ask nicely they may do 20% off...worked for me and a couple of guys from work!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Conehead, I'm with you-this thread was only really interesting when everyone was misunderstanding the original purpose of it and trying to lynch everyone who suggested that there may be other bike shops out there.....

I personally believe that Bridgtown are being deliberately provocative by not having ANY shops darn sarrth and as such deserves a bloody good whippin...

Come on guys, is that the best you can do!