Home Chat General Chat

What's in a name?

So here’s the thing-I have just bought a bike (Boardman, sorry lbs fans but I’m a slave to the high street). My problem is do I name her(is she even a she?)? If so what’s the etiquette? Do I wait until I’ve formed a proper relationship, maybe done my first tri on her(a way off yet)? I get the impression naming your bike is not solely a female trait, noticing both Messers Conehead and Firestarter’s machines having suitably macho titles.

So I suppose the real question-is what’s yours called?

Comments

• BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Mine's called Tessa. You'll have to ask Cheryl as to why as she came ready named! Think it's either 'Tessa the Tri Bike' or 'Tessa the Trek'. As with horses and boats it's probably considered unlucky to re-christen...
  • In my oppinion all bikes are she...

You should name her strait away, it would be rude to ride her without at least being on first name terms.

Mine is called Keirra.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i'm a killjoy - it's a bike, i haven't named it. i treat my car the same way, no name for that either.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Got to agree name her straight away... mine is called Gladys
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    my race bike is Beauty....my training bike is Beast....my MTB is The Tank.
  • My road bike (also a Boardman) is The Duke and is definitely male.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    My hybrid is called Harry but it took him a while of commuting and two tris for him to earn a name and then it just seemed to fit. The new road bike hasn't got a name yet though, perhaps after our first tri on Sunday?
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Kidstardust liking your style-does the noble title afforded to your mighty stead get promoted/demoted dependent on your most recent race?!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    a the rebirth of an old thread....

my old bike was claudia.

The new is the arianna "the animal"

She loves ripping bikes to pieces....
  • My bike doesnt have a name, I think you are all weird. I do however, pat the saddle, wink and say "Have a good day" to her as i leave here in the works bike shed. I never fail to do this, if I ever did, I would feel bad.

They say that by going to Triathlons you meet like minded people. This worries me.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I wouldnt say mine has a name but I do treat it like I imagine it would be to father a child
  • Many thanks for the responses.

Have opted to a flexible approach based on most posts but incorporating kidstardust's style.

Up unitl the first tri she'll be Corporal Marjory but has the possiblity of promotion (or court marshall) dependent on results...
  • My new frame is gonna be called Sid I think, as it's Planet X pink and punk-as-all-f*ck!
    He's arriving this week I hope.
  • Initially named my bike Karen, but realised a couple of months later I had made a huge error... My bike was in fact a man!

With the help of BlinkyBaz (you still around mate?), I made the change to Red Kev, and he's much happier with it.
  • Flavadave-can I ask what made you realise?
  • Silverback wrote:
    Flavadave-can I ask what made you realise?
    Errrrrr... sorry. That's between me and Red Kev
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Naming your bike (or car) is rather weird.

Just to be ironic however I've named mine The Beast.
  • Ah ok Flavadave, I get the situation, I've seen the Crying Game...
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Silverback - I think that the name of your steed is as important as the sport we do! how can you ever get the machine moving faster if it doesnt have a name?????

It is not always how you name it but what the name means to you. Mine is called flossie and she is great! She is black silver and the irontic thing is she has Viking written on the diagnal tube.

She loves when I call her name as we charge down hills and burn up them.

Give your steed a name dude. If you need any help you only have to ask. Nameing takes in all areas of the bike like colour make age add on extras!!!!!!
  • my 10-year old MTB and carriage for my 1st sprint was just 'the iron horse' and definately male...
    ...only had my new road bike for 6 weeks, it's female but hasn't earnt a name yet even after lots of staring/stroking/cleaning after each ride...i'm sure it will jump out at me soon...
  • i was thinking of naming mine after my wife but i dont think she will take kindly to being a bike plus ill probably get in a bit more riding time