Home Chat General Chat

duathlon

I'm might enter the '1485 no frills duathlon' next month , but has running is not my strongest discipline ,I need advice on pacing the first run ,as i'm told that duathlons can be more challenging than tri's .

any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• You've basically got two choices:

1) Just run the first leg as you normally would, treat it as learning experience, and see what happens. Then develop your strategy for the next one.

2) Use either heart rate, or perceived effort to run the first leg within your self (e.g. a few beats down on your normal racing heart rate).

For a shortish distance, I would go for 1) as I would prefer to get stronger/build up speed. But, going for "negative splits" 2) is an equally commendable strategy.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    What jack Said ....

When I did my duathlons at the beginning of the year I just ran the first leg at my normal training pace for that distance - it meant that I got left behind at the start but by the end of the first run I was mid pack ... don't get drawn into racing too fast in the first run, you can allways catch up on the bike and the 2nd run.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Thanks for the advice guys.
  • 1st Run - Flat out
    Bike - Recover from run
    2nd Run - Flat out and vomit