Home Chat General Chat

70.3 Training Plans

Dear all,

Ive entered St Polten next May and wondered if anyone had any good links for training plans for 70.3/HIM, on the WWW or in print?

Cheers,

Lex

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    There's one here but I think some users on here have.

As with all training plans, they're pretty generic so may require a bit of tinkering...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/a ... ticleid=52
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    St. Poelten? See you there Lex

Your 1st HIM?

didds
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Flava, cheers mate Ill take a look at that one.

Didds, yes mate first HIM. My main concern is getting in shorter speed work on the bike to supplement the long ride - Im going to be pushed for time during the week. Still it will be worse when the enevitable happens and I decide to take up the option of entering IM Austria in 2011!!! You know its going to happen mate!!

How about you, you done the distance/this course before?

Cheers,

Lex
    my first HIM too.

I am reading "Going Long" at the moment, and early on the book JF states that its not about hours or complexity in training particularly but the KEY sessions and their intensity that counts. I guess that translates as your LSD stuff at weekends plus some pool work on technique and endurance, and whatever you fit in after that is a bonus. Now, I would also agree that that probably won;t get you round enough on its own, but in terms of speedwork etc you're only looking at the last couple of months leading into the race anyway, so circa early April for that.

What's your base like currently? Its the most crucial but of it so I wouldn't worry about the speed work until you have nailed the endurance base, especially as this is your first time too. Check out/google "decoupling protocols" (www.tri-talk.com has a podcast on this if you dig around that site).

Over on www.tritalk.co.uk (different website to the above!) Juergen is a mine of information about AT 70.3 and threads exist on it already.

caveat : I know nothing aside from regurgitating everything I've read and heard and filtered!

cheers

didds
    I'd add to that for the shorter work that gets squeezed in, tedious as they are a turbo trainer may well be the way to go, and hill work when you can (and/or overgearing on the TT).

gansbach is 8.5 Km all uphill, average only 4% but with some 20% bits in it towards the end I am told

didds
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Didds,

Cheers for that mate, Ill take a look at those.

Ive been struggling with hamstring problems for last few months but base stuff is ok ish. Im about 2:30 over olympic distance this season despite injuries ruining most of my training plans and have a 3k open water swim race under the belt. Done quite a few races recently though rather than building up the mileage. The hamstring is improving so the idea was to tick over until christmas and then from 1st Jan follow a more structured programme - that gives me 20 weeks until Austria which is just about spot on.

I need to sort my swim technique out a bit, bit of a one pace wonder - same with the bike. The 70.3 seems so much more weighted towards the bike so its there that I need to get my act together.