Home Chat General Chat

Turbo Trainer

Can anyone reccomend a decent mid range trainer? I want to spend between £100-£200, and are they good to use? thoughts please guys

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've got the Tacx Satori. £145 last year so you might pick it up cheap. Its magnet based an you can vary the resistance.

Its worth it weight in gold in the winter months but bloody boring. Get a dvd player in front of you and get a spinnervals dvd as well. Helps pass the time.

HRM would good also to help build aerobic base.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    I'm in the turbo market also.

Whats the vibration and noise like? I had a shot on one the other night and it was quite noisey. Are they all noisey or are they quieter versions.

I agree with the boring bit I was on it for less than 5 mins and bored out my mind! I can take it if I'm getting faster!!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I WAS in the turbo market....but yesterday i got a tranz-x magnetic trainer off ebay for £80 brand new. RRP is £140 on these. it was also in a group test in cycling plus where it got the highest score of 9 out of 10.

Ofcourse these are claims of the seller but its on its way to me so if its ok i'll let you know on here.
  • Barny51Barny51 Posts: 16
    Hi, Shameless plugging but I am selling my turbo triainer at the moment as I have no room for it in my new flat... Recomend it greatly - Cyclops Fluid 2 - Is pretty quiet - about the same as a normal excercise bike (so long as your tires are slick!) Also haev the resistance curve so you just changes gear if you want to go harder - like on the road...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT

I will throw in a the sweat thong thing if the winning bidder mentions the 220 forum. (stops your slaty sweat going on your nice bike!).

If you want some carbon wheels or a sofa... see my other bits! :0)
  • i have the cycleops fluid 2 that barney51 is selling and can recommend it. quick and easy to set up, and pretty quiet. no fancy measurement metres or visual entertainment but does the job.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    just to add on here...folks use their race wheels? or buy a specific training wheel setup?..
    well i've only got one set of wheels.....so i'll be using them....then i'll buy new tyres when the spring comes.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Just been on Wiggle.
    Looking at the cycle ops range.

I noticed the magnetic model is £15 more than the fluid model.

whats the crack there, is magnetic more quiet or is there other benefits ?

how much is the fuid 2 new??
    i found this

Mag Versus Fluid Versus Wind Resistance Trainers

Trainer resistance mechanisms are similar to those on exercise bikes.

Magnetic resistance mechanisms are popular.

Advantages

Cheap.
    More than one resistance level is possible.
    Reliable and low-maintenance.
    Disadvantage

Less realistic and satisfying ride.
    Fluid resistance trainers are also popular.

Advantage

Resistance automatically increases with speed, which more accurately mimics real bicycle response. This gives a more realistic ride.
    Disadvantages

More expensive.
    Normally only one resistance level. Resistance can be changed by shifting gears on the bicycle so this isn't a significant limitation.
    Possible for fluid to leak.
    Wind or air-resistance trainers give roughly the same natural ride as fluid trainers.

Advantages

Resistance automatically increases with speed.
    Simple and reliable.
    Disadvantages

Normally only one resistance level.
    Noisy.
    For all types of mechanisms, a flywheel is important. It adds inertia, approximating the inertia of a rolling bicycle and allows the bike to freewheel naturally. Within limits, the larger the flywheel the better.

Other Types of Bicycle Trainers

Rim drive trainers have rollers that contact the side rim of the rear wheel. This preserves the rubber of the tire.

Pivot trainers allow some side movement for a more natural ride.

Roller trainers look like a ladder that is placed on the floor. The bicycle's rear wheel is placed on two rollers on the ladder. The front wheel is sometimes removed so that the bicycle can be supported on a front fork stand.

The Best Bicycle Trainer

Tire-wear issues mean that in the long run, a turbo trainer can be more expensive than an exercise bike.

For those who are sold on the benefits of a trainer, mag trainers are cheap and reliable. They should be fine for the average keep-fit enthusiast.

Fluid trainers have a good reputation. For serious cyclists who can afford to pay more, a name brand fluid trainer with a large flywheel is a good choice.

Read more: http://fitness.suite101.com/article.cfm ... z0TqFjXJUb
    Hey guys, well my turbo trainer arrived today and i have to say its outstanding quality. its very sturdy and stable. the magnetic resistance is much quieter than i thought it was going to be and setup and fit is perfect.

This is the one i bought. i bid 79.99 and it was the only bid. so a real bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AWARD-WINNER-TRAN ... _727wt_939