Home Chat Race Chat

Duo of Duathlons - Cirencester Off Road & Chilly

diddsdidds Posts: 655
I'm doing Cirencester Off Road du on 15th Nov and the Chilly Duathlon at Castle Combe a week afterwards.

Anyone done 'em, before - any tips? Anyone doing them this year?

didds

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Pretty sure I'll be doing the Chilly again, was my first multisport last year but not sure if I'll be racing for my uni or BCTTT yet.

It's a lap around the edge of the track, off road and mostly flat but a couple of short sharp hills. There is gravel for most of. The ride is five laps of the track. Very nice smooth & fast tarmac, but watch out for bits of gravel. If there is a wind blowing it can make the ride tough, as I found out last November, as it is quite exposed. As you come out of T1 you have the nice fast section, slightly downhill before going up to the top corner of the track, watch out for Carbon stealth machines completing their first lap here. Once you turn the corner you then have a few bends to cope with before completing your lap, it is these stretches where the wind got me. As you turn onto the final straight you can start putting the power back on for the fast section, remember to go over the timing mat. On you last lap watch out when approaching the bike in as you need to do a 160° turn and a final 10m before dismount line. On exiting T2 you have to go up a grassy bank. If it has been raining jelly legs and slippery ground can conspire against you here, second lap same as first.

Hope that gives you an idea of what to expect.
  • hazohazo Posts: 18
    Done the Cirencester duathlon a couple of times.
    Not sure I will this year as its only a week after the Ballbuster.

Nice event, video should help get a taste for it (try spraying a bit of mud in your face, while watching, to get a more realistic experience).
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 948991866#

Run isn't too tricky. Undulating rather than hilly but always muddy.

Bike is again muddy in places, but not technical. Bit of grass, gravel track, mud,mud and another muddy bit. Hill at the end of each bike loop gets the blood flowing but again nothing technical.
    Get you knobbly tyres out!!

Might see you there, if I recover in time.