Home Chat General Chat

Breathing? Sounds easy I know!!!

So heres my question/problm!

When running howdo you brat and at wht rate/ rythum

I seem to find that the harder I run the smaller my breathing becomes or It just doesnt get any deeper. I am finding that this makes my heart rate go high and the sick feeling comes on!
Last night i tried to do a breath every 2 steps but I am not sure if there's a recommended rate. I know we are all differen and all that but a ball park figure/guide would be good, PLEASE!!!!!

Comments

• Baz

just breathe according to how you feel. Takes a bit of time to get a good rhythm going for me (usually 10 mins into a run before I feel comfortable) but generally I breathe as deep as I can and am consistent throughout a run once I get into the zone.

I'd judge my rate at 4 or 5 strides per breath when running at average pace but I'll check on next run. I change to shallower/quicker breathing rhythm when the change in intensity requires it such as sprinting or running uphill.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you feel sick and heart rate is high its less likely to be breathing alone that is the problem? Maybe run pace/intensity is too high vs your fitness? Perhaps work on improving vo2max by doing intervals.
  • It's worth trying to breathe to an odd pattern if foot strikes, every 3 or 5 strides. This way you're internal organs get to share the load as well which reduces the chance of stitch.
  • TRIumphant wrote:
    breathe to an odd pattern if foot strikes, every 3 or 5 strides. This way you're internal organs get to share the load as well which reduces the chance of stitch.
    Interesting theory. I thought 'stitch' was one of those mysteries of life things that couldn't be explained by science (or there were a thousand differing explanations). Something to test on my next couple of runs!!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I believe a 'stitch' is the diaphragm going into spasm. It's this body thing we are encased in, it needs to be brought under control.

As suggested you may want to develop a rythm, don't know if this is physiologically correct but as I am right handed and right leg dominant I sequence with my left to balance out the chi, karma or whatever Breathe deeply in on left foot strike and on next left strike breathe out forcibly like a pant. After a while your internals will get used to this and you will develop your own rythm without being aware of it although occassionally I will do a really big and long intake, hold for one pace and then breathe out explosively, seems to clear out the sytem a bit.

I understand that a good explosive exhale expels more CO2 from the depths of the lungs than normal breathing and effectively flushes the system out to allow more O2 to exchange. Whether this is tied up with the spasm I cannot say but CO2 out O2 in sounds good to me as anearobic exercise leands to lactic acid build up, you do not want to hyperventilate however!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    This is one for the fruity one I believe who will no doubt tell you that you should slow your breathing down as much as possible.

in terms of a stich you should force a breath out on the opposite side of the stitch. So if the stitch is on the right side, when your left leg leads then force a hard breath out. Which is more or less what Tri is saying
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Baz, I used to get tsomething similar, but it would ease up after a few miles. I found that i was starting out too hard, without a proper warm up/time to adjust from normal to exercise breathing and this shocked my body into really struggling to get a good breath. I found that by slowing down the first mile, making sure that I could breathe easily it has cleared up a lot. Not completely and if i start too fast it still happens, but it is much better, and as i have got fitter it takes a much faster start than before to cause it.