Home Chat General Chat

Cramp!

My husband gets the most horrendous, leap-out-of-bed-in-agony cramp, usually after a longer than usual run. We have been advised that we probably don't get enough salt in our diet but other than that, are looking for a magical way to a) cure, or preferably b) prevent it .

All ideas for stretching, diet or any other miracle solutions gladly received.

Thanks.

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Try electrolyte drinks while training.
    And make sure he stays well hydrated.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I echo Jac's comments, also try getting him to eat banana's. They have zinc and magnesium as well in them that can help with cramp.

Electrolytes drinks are excellent
  • +1 Electrolyte drink....before and after exercise. Nuun is my preference but other products are available!
  • I'd go with Nuun as well. I have a litre of the stuff every day, and extra before and after workouts, just to keep the levels topped up, and don't have any cramp issues.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    +1 to bananananana's

i used to get nasty middle of the night cramp attacks when playing rugby in my youth. a late evening banana snack seemed to knock them on the head.
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    I've had terrible problems with cramp (mostly in cycling) over the last ten years or so - one of the side-effects of getting a little older I guess. I get cramp bad enough that I've pulled muscles with it.

Good hydration is useful and I also use NUUN after extended/hard training sessions. I've tried remedies like Crampex for a week or two before a big race, but I'm not sure whether it was any good or not - I did notice that it made my muscles feel a little "soft", quite an odd sensation and not particularly confidence-inspiring before a race.

Bananas are a good source of potassium apparently, although it's not made much difference to me as far as I can tell. Tomato juice is also supposed to be quite good for this.

The best thing I've found is to load up on tonic water in the days before a long race/training. A couple of 1-litre bottles in the two or three days before a big effort make all the difference to me.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I've never had cramp. Not one time. The closest i came was when i was stretching my calf after a long ride and it looked like it might spasm. But it didnt.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.